Monday, 30 July 2012

Failures v Success

I didn't spend much time in the garden yesterday. The eldest boy had brought his girlfriend round for Sunday Lunch. Very nice she seems too. So, apart from a quick stroll & the french doors being open in the dining room I didn't see much of the garden.

During my stroll, I spotted my red currents had ripened. All eight of them, well there are five left on the bush now after I scoffed three. A failure perhaps, I know the birds hadn't eaten them. I have three red current bushes now so I hope for a bigger crop next year. The white current bush has plenty so there is a success & the black current cropped beautifully. Not enough for jam so I made some cassis for Christmas instead. The rhubarb has grown like triffids & the blueberry bushes have been smothered with fruit. Apart from my two yellow raspberry bushes producing red berries, we have had large crops from them. With my currents & raspberries I am hoping to make some cordial.The strawberries have been dire, I think we had three nice strawberries from 12 plants. A combination of the weather, birds & slugs saw us off. Next year the stawberries will be grown in pots in the greenhouse. We picked a bowl full from my dads two plants in his conservatory.

The veg garden has also produced some dire results. The spinach bolted as soon as it poked its head through the ground. The swiss chard has grown to a height of three inches & doesn't seem too want to move. The broad beans have been fantastic, also the borlotti & runner beans are both producing pods. The fennel is swelling up nicely & I hope to have it roasted round a chicken soon. I have 14 cuccumbers on the plant in the greenhouse, the tomatoes are starting to ripen & for the first time ever the peppers seem to be producing fruit.



 All in all, its not too bad, some you win, some you lose. Enjoy your day!

8 comments:

  1. This season has been exceptional - usually the strawberries crop well outside but wet and slugs have been their downfall this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a weird year, weatherwise, for us veggie growers this year. I usually have a massive crop of both Spinach and Kale, but like your Swiss Chard they are tiny little plants this year.

    I have had lots of Blueberries and Red Currants, I beat the birds to them this year, last year they ate ALL the Red Currants, much to my dismay.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My swiss chard plants are looking healthy though, not big enough yet for a meal but healthy looking.

      Delete
  3. Your crop sounds very similar to mine! Our strawberries were disastrous! I'm hoping my autumn raspberries will be better! Plus i've had to chase the birds away from the blueberries, no wonder our garden seemed popular with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been lucky with the blueberries this year, we moved the pots closer to the house and this has seemed to fox the birds.

      Delete
  4. Considering what it's been like you don't seem to be doing too bad at all.
    I like the pot marigolds! Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, they are lovely aren't they.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.