Friday, 13 July 2012

Flowers for next year.

I'm a scrooge at heart. Or as the other half says 'she's a tightwad'. I'm happy to spend if the need arises but if I can save - well there we go.

I do however buy a lot of gardening magazines. With the gardening magazines come special offers. An item free if you pay p&p.

Yesterday morning the postman brought me a perennial collection. 36 teeny tiny plug plants, & they were tiny. I'm not complaining, I paid I think £4.90 but they were so tiny - they were beautiful but  no bigger than a 50p piece.

I spent a pleasant half hour in the garden last night in the rain with a gin & tonic potting up my collection. I received 6 each of the following -

Geum - Mrs Bradshaw
Delphinium - Pacific Giant
Foxglove - Excelsior
Echinacea - Primadonna
Lavender - Hidcote
Penstemon - Tubular Bells Mix

I have potted three each of the delphiniums, foxglove & penstemons up for a work colleague. The rest will be planted in the front garden when ready to do so.

I am now going to root through my magazine collection, I'm sure i saw an offer for two free dwarf butterfly bushes, I do wonder however, if I will ever find an offer for the five rose bushes I  need for the front garden. Free with p&p paid of course. Doubt it.



 Plug plants in the delivery box.















After potting up. Do you like my plant labels! he was right about the tightwad.

4 comments:

  1. You can't beat a good offer - love the spoon labels

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do i, the plants i took into work had plastic knife labels.

      Delete
  2. It means that with what you save you buy other plants, or seeds!
    Even if some of them don't survive it's still a bargain.
    Using plastic cutlery like that is a terrific idea.
    Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great idea isnt it, i am going to try cutting up a milk carton into strips next.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.