Monday, 16 July 2012

Growing myself some soup.

I have had pathetic harvests this year on the veg front. I don't plan enough & certainly this year I have not sown or planted half the variety that we have done in the past.

My main problem is I dont sow or plant anything else after harvesting a crop. Now that I have realised where I have gone wrong, I will be able to do better next year.

Spinach will not be put in the ground again nor swiss chard. Both crops have failed badly from I think slugs/snails & the cant be bothered to grow attiitude. I will sow some perpetual spinach at the weekend & wiil see how I fair with that.

Any way back to the title of this post. I have just finished my evening meal which was a bowl of minestrone soup. I only eat homemade soup so have made a big pot to last me the week.

After I finished my meal I took the empty bowl through to the kitchen & then found myself staring through the window at the rain.

I cheered up at the sight of my borlotti beans, they have just started to form flowers. Its the first time I have grown borlotti beans so I am eager to see them produce a crop. Seeing the pale pink buds made me smile & then the thought of soup occured to me.

Along with the borlotti beans I am growing - kale, red onions, carrots, courgettes, peppers & tomatoes. Apart from the pasta, come autumn i will pretty much have the fixings for a good homemade minestrone straight out of the garden.

8 comments:

  1. I do pretty much the same - I readily plan what to plant, but I need to get my head around doing more than one sowing per year... It's a bit of a logistical nightmare though if you have limited space in your garden; but now I have the opportunity with some more growing space that's become available, I should be able to produce more in bulk/successive sowings.

    Looks like during the coming winter's months I'll be doing a plan for 2013...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry i deleted the last reply, i always seem to click on comment rather than reply. I am looking forward to the seed catalogues this autumn being posted through the letter box.

      Delete
    2. No worries at all - do you recommend any particular seed catalogues or seed suppliers...? I didn't realise you could have catalogues delivered! Would be interested in that myself...

      Delete
  2. I think that most people will be grateful for any harvests they get this year. I sowed two lots of Swiss chard and none appeared, or were slugged if they did.
    I like, and grow, borlotti beans. It's been just the weather for minestrone! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree flighty, though reading the news online before it looks like we may have a summer soon.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are not on your own, my spinach was a complete disaster this year. I have also just taken up what was left of my Pak Choi, if I had got my act together I could of had some seedling on the go in the greenhouse a few weeks ago. So don't worry about the planning, we all forget at times.

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to pull up what is left of my spinach & plant my leeks there instead.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.