Saturday, 28 July 2012

New (old) books.

I was given some old gardening books yesterday. I love old things, even Mike is 8  years older than me. I love the history behind them, which is probally why I love my old greenhouse so much. I know who owned it before me & when I leave my front garden I can see where it used to be kept.

Anyway, the other day when the greenhouse was transported Mike started talking to the man who lived opposite the old owner. Mike invited him to have a look at my little veg garden, it always amazes people just how much I can fit in. He told Mike he had some old gardening books that his late wife used to use. Yesterday he brought them over for me.


Aren't they fab, the top one is my favourite. It contains so much information which is clear and to the point. It is just so full of common sense.  Here is the forward -






I love reading old gardening books. I enjoy seeing the difference between then & now. It gives quantities of seeds in this book for different purposes in pints & oz. Brilliant!

Enjoy your day.

10 comments:

  1. I agree with you about old gardenings books - some of ther advice still stands good although these days all the pesticides etc that they used to use wouldn't suit todays gardeners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'I love old things, even Mike is 8 years older than me.'......lol...Brilliant!!

    What a lovely book to have been given, I love it when books change hands from one person who has treasured them to another who will.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha, he knows I blog & include him in what I type. I do treasure the old books I have been given.

      Delete
  3. I recognise the card type binder. I have the set on the top shelf above my computer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was never much interested in growing house plants before, but there are some good ideas amongst the pages.

      Delete
  4. lovely! I have the top book too, my great grandmother gave it to me and I treasure it as a great resource! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky you! I do to as you'll know from a recent post that I did about some I was given. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.