Sunday, 29 July 2012

Potato Experiment!

The boy and I are having a small competition too see who will get the biggest crop of potatoes for Christmas.

I bought two varieties, Maris Peer & Pentland Javelin. I am growing Maris Peer & the boy (he is 10) is growing Pentland Javelin.



We seem to have an excess of the blue recycling boxes, this excess is probally down to the fact that Mike likes to make use of items that other people no longer use. I also have two large yellow builders buckets that Mike spotted on the moterway. He passed them at night & moved them from the road for safety & as they were still there when he passed by later, he relocated them for me. We are going to grow courgettes in them next year.

Anyway back to the potatoes. The boy & I put some compost into the bottom of each container. We then added our potatoes & covered with more compost. We added some fertiliser granules & then watered.
The boy marked our initials & the variety on the side of each box. Also because he had a rather large seed potato he decided to mark that also. Just to make sure that I wouldn't steal it & swap for one of mine. Awful child! They boxes will be left outside until September & then moved into the greenhouse to protect from frost.


On a final note, I sowed some spinach around my plum & cherry trees which are in pots. It looks like I will get a crop after all this year. Enjoy your day.


                                                           

6 comments:

  1. So will it be the variety or the skill of the grower that is crowned the winner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to the boy it will be skill, not that he spends a huge amount of time helping.

      Delete
  2. It'll be interesting to see how you both do, and who wins! Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Without a doubt Flighty it will be the boy.

      Delete
  3. I grew the same two varieties of potato this year; they've done well until they seem to have gotten blight just a few days ago. Maris peer did well for me last year. Hope you have success with yours. I also use recycling boxes for growing and find they are great to grow most things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no, how awful for you, I may have to put them in the greenhouse sooner.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.