Thursday, 19 July 2012

Propagating?

Monday's shopping trip saw me come home with a propagator.  I had been toying with getting one for a while. Normally i would leave such a purchase as birthday present ideas, but we saw such a good offer Mike bought it for me then.

It is a heated windowsill propagator & has seven separate compartments, each with their own lid. Naturally I filled each compartment with compost straight away and set about finding some seeds which are suitable for sowing at this time of year.

I have sown two types of pansy, veronica, shasta daisy, echinacea, sweet williams & lupins. The lupins were only sown as I had a compartment left after sowing the first six set of seeds. The packet had been opened the previous year so I sprinkled the remaining contents onto the compost & hoped for the best.

Upon inspecting the propagator last night, I found  the lupins were amongst the first to germinate. I have three little seedlings which I hope I am able to keep alive for next years planting scheme.

6 comments:

  1. Some types of seed don't like warmth to germinate so don't forget to check on packets etc. Great start though - the secret will be giving the seedlings emough light once they have germinated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did check the seed packets to see which ones needed to be in the propagator. I have just left a comment on your blog, i may plant my lupins under my crab apple tree when they are ready to be planted out.(and when i buy it)

      Delete
  2. It's always a delight to see seeds germinating.... and sometimes the whole batch fails..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be interested to see how you get on as I may get one sometime. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's called a super 7. Its very narrow and fits on the windowsill nicely. I have a few more lupins popping there heads through, the shasta daisys & sweet williams have also started to germinate. I shall do another post on it with photo next week.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.