Tuesday, 24 July 2012

Seeds!

         Look what I got yesterday!.

We popped out yesterday as Mike wanted some varnish stuff for the shed. Which is another story in itself. Why we couldn't buy a pretty shade I don't know. Manky normal brown is what we ended up with. Anyway left to my own devices I wandered off to look at the seed selections.

I really wanted some broccoli to sow now. All the varieties they had on offer seemed to be up to June only. I bought a pack but I will save it until next year as I don't want to take a chance.

And then I looked up at the big sign above my head. Unwins & Sutton seeds all half price. Well I couldn't leave them could I. I have stashed up nicely for next year.

As the seeds are mostly for next year I shall type them in my 2013 tab. Apart from the Japanese onion - Senshyu, Radicchio - Palla Rossa Bella & Radish - Mantanghong they will be filed away in a tin until ready to sow.

Also they had Autumn potatoes on offer. I missed not growing potatoes this year so we bought Pentland Javelin & Maris Peer. They will give us 4 tubs worth, hopefully for Christmas lunch. Once the greenhouse crops have finished I shall transfer the tubs in there.

As it is still wonderfully sunny we did spend time in the garden yesterday. By the time I dragged myself out of bed (woken up by next doors cockerel) Mike had laid 16 slabs in Steptoes yard. The slabs are in place so Mike can transfer the shed over. This will give us space to put the larger greenhouse up.

We were debating on sharing a shed but I don't want to now. I want a shed painted in a pretty colour & as I said before Mike bought manky brown. So he can begger off, my shed will be painted cream & sage green. when I get one off course.



                                                You can just make out the slabs at the back.

And for more important news, we have beans!



         On the left is a photo of a teeny tiny runner bean, we also have beans on the borlotti. I forgot to take a photo of them.

8 comments:

  1. Looks like a good selection you've got there! Cream and sage green shed sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A busy, and worthwhile, day by the look and sound of it. It'll be interesting to see how your Christmas potatoes do as people seem to have very variable results. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope by putting them in the greenhouse I might get a bigger crop.

      Delete
  3. I've bought some sage green stain to match the cream and sage green summerhouse. I'm going to colour our patio table and chairs to match - just thought today would have been a good day to do it - too late now - why didn't I thnk of it earlier?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apart from a few spots of rain it has been glorious again today. The manky brown has been painted on the sides that can't be seen. We are having sage green now & I am going to paint it cream inside.

      Delete
  4. What a great lot of seeds Joanne. I'm sure they will keep you busy and well fed! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to think so, I may go back for half price flower seeds next week.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.