Monday, 6 August 2012

A harvest for me ( & to share).

I am unable to lie so I have to admit my harvest took place later on last night. However it is being classed as today's harvest. Look -


Looks tiny doesn't it. I assure you that it made a large salad. I harvested a colander full of mixed salad leaves, spring onions, a few tomatoes & also for the first time ever - a cucumber.

My lovely beautiful cucumber, I didn't measure it but it looked close to 30cm long. I did put it against the bread maker but it still looks small.

It is every so slighty spiky, the spikes do rub off quite easily.




                                                                 

It was just so crisp & delicious. I am boasting a bit I think but I'm allowed. I don't know the variety, we bought the plant from a local garden centre & the label said F1 Female. All female cucumber plants are the best ones to grow as you don't have to pick off the male flowers. If you leave the male flowers on & they pollinate the female flowers (with the baby fruits behind) you end up with bitter cucumbers.

With it being the first time growing a cucumber plant I consulted my dad for advice. I can't remember exactly what he told me but it was along the lines of the side shoots being stopped after two leaves, then after one. Sounded far too complicated. Now I'm not a serious grower, I like to potter. I have a small garden & thats it. I am growing for me not a farmers market. I went for the removing all tendrils, tying the plant in as it clambers up support & stopping it when it reaches the top.  Thats what worked for me. I have between 14 & 16 cucumbers on the plant at various stages. I will be following the last bit next year. The only difference next year being I have cucumber seeds to sow.


I also picked some fruit - ta-dah.

Blueberries, red & whitecurrants a couple of loganberries & one blackberry.

I am going to make a cake later along the lines of this one -  http://urbanvegpatch.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/traybake-summer-soft-fruit-cake.html

the difference to my effort is the fruit mix & a large white chocolate bar broke into chunks.

It really is a wonderful cake, Caro hasn't posted since I made mine so I haven't had chance too thank her for posting the recipe, do make it, it's fab. Enjoy your day!

10 comments:

  1. Congrats on your first cucumber! If it were mine, I'd peel it; the skin looks as if it might be a bit tough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same Mark. I nibbled a bit as you do in the excitement & it was wonderfully tender. Maybe if it was stored in the fridge it may toughen up, none left to check up on that theory though.

      Delete
  2. We just leave our cucumber plants to do their own thing but they are hardy outdoor types. As for peeling cucumbers - as I understand it the skin helps prevent indigestion that cucumbers can give some people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happy to leave the tendrils on, Mike kept on snipping them off. I am really pleased at my first attempt though.

      Delete
  3. I just let my cucumbers do their own thing, the tendrils are wonderful for supporting the plant in the way it decides it needs supporting.

    I've a couple of lovely cucumbers on mine at the moment.

    The skin does look tough but is really very tender, it does toughen up slightly on being kept in the fridge, but as you say they don't really last long enough to need to go into the fridge do they!!

    And the great thing is the more you pick the more you get on the plant.

    You got a good mixed harvest there, it's a wonderful feeling to be able to supply virtually all the components of a meal isn't it.


    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great feeling. It seems like ages since I have had a worthwhile harvest.

      Delete
  4. It's so exciting when you manage to grow something for the first time. No cucumbers for me this year, in fact, there's lots of things which I haven't managed to grow this year. I love the idea of the cake with the added chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's glorious with the added chocolate. It is nice with out, but with chocolate, yum!

      Delete
  5. Well done with the cucumbers as I never have any luck growing them.
    I've started picking my blackberries, and still picking a few raspberries as well.
    That cake sounds delicious. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pleased with the cucumber I must admit flighty.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.