Tuesday, 21 August 2012

A potato update & other bits.

The seed potatoes the boy & I sowed a few weeks back are coming through nicely. They need to be earthed up one more time & that will be it. When the frosts come I shall drag them into the greenhouse.

Peppers in the large greenhouse!

 
                                                      



 The tomatoes are in the small greenhouse. The plum tomatoes are still small but they are plumping up a bit now. There is still some time to pass before they attempt to turn red. My dad who lives around the corner from me has been picking huge plum tomatoes for weeks now. Same variety of plants, bought at the same time. We have struggled for the past couple of years to grow cherry tomatoes. I dont think I will bother next year & stick to the Gardeners Delight variety we have in the small greenhouse. Not that they last long.


 

I spy a Mike looing for tomatoes & the culprit caught on the right.


And last but not least a present from the birds!

There are about ten heads on this sunflower. Isn't it beautiful. I am now planning for a row of sunflowers in front of the runner beans next year. I just wish I knew what variety they use in the seeds I buy for the bird feeder. Enjoy your day!

11 comments:

  1. Why not just plant the seeds you buy for the birds if you like them.

    Is your small greenhouse quite dark inside as it seems so from the photo. If so lack of light could be slowing ripening - maybe you could remove some leaves from the tomato plants to let in more light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha didn't think of that did I. It looks more glum in the photo. It's quite bright really.

      Delete
  2. Now's the time to take all the leaves off your tomato plants to let the fruit ripen, I did at the start of the weekend and they are nearly all turning red now.

    That's a lovely sunflower.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely sunflower. I cant wait for the other buds to open. And yes I will start removing some of the leaves.

      Delete
  3. I always grow some 'Gardener's Delight'tomatoes.
    As Sue@GLA says plant some of the sunflower seeds from the bird food. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to grow Gardeners Delight again next year. Yes, I will sow some of the birds seeds.

      Delete
  4. Evidently there is something that Dads know that daughters don't! (I mean about growing tomatoes...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha your right Mark. He is also registered blind!

      Delete
  5. Lovely sunflower - mine all got felled in a storm we had last week - will have to make sure of better supports next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I've not grown potatoes before. I think next year I'll give them a go. I haven't had any sunflowers this year, I'm very jealous :(

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.