Saturday, 25 August 2012

Greenhouse crops.

I think for the first time ever I may have peppers big enough to harvest. I held my wrinkly old hand up next to one of the peppers to gauge the size. See, they are getting huge!





I think I have five or six on this bush alone. I shall have to check the variety. We bought three pepper plants in all from the garden centre. A red one, yellow or orange & a very dark purple one. Only two survived, one of which was the very dark one. I shall have to take a photo of the dark pepper bush. I was quite intrigued with it as the peppers turned to the dark colour pretty much straight away.

Also there is a chance I may have some melons this year. In the last week they have started to produce baby fruit. It may be too late for them but I still think I have a chance. Well it wont cost me anything either way, apart from a bit of plant food.
Next year I am going to try sowing both melon & peppers from seed. Enjoy your day!

10 comments:

  1. My advice with plants like melon, pepper, chilli, squash etc is "start early, but keep the seedlings well protected". They do take a long time to develop in our miserable climate! My plastic mini-greenhouses have been a godsend for me since I don't have a "proper" greenhouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an electric propagator that fits ona windowsill. I shall be using that.

      Delete
  2. Our pepper plants haven't produced a single pepper in spite of flowering - I think low light levels are to blame!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My two are in the large greenhouse which is backed by a cream painted wall. It looks like it is helping.

      Delete
  3. Well done, seeing them makes me wish that I had a greenhouse.
    Have a look at the MoreVeg seed site as they list 12 melons suitable for growing in our climate and plenty of peppers as well. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks & thanks for the tip flighty. I shall take a look.

      Delete
  4. I have quite a few peppers on my plant but only one is starting to ripen. I grew some multi-coloured ones last year. They are easy to start from seed but as Mark says they need to be started early.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still need to check what variety the green peppers are. If they don't turn I shall slice the fruits up for fajitas.

      Delete
  5. Looking forward to seeing the purple pepper! I'd love to grow these sorts of things (melons etc.) but I have no where that would be warm enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have taken another photo of them.It's a shame you haven't got room, I'm sure you would make some lovely things to eat out of them.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.