Sunday, 19 August 2012

Runner beans.

I wish I am able to take some photographs to post. I am in the middle of a 12 day on the run shift & feeling very time poor, thank god I am  able to work from home. I cant grumble too much.

We will for the first time this year be picking runner beans. Well Mike will be picking them as I will be welded to my laptop. I have however managed to put a joint of pork in the oven for Sunday lunch.  I love runner beans & will be freezing lots for use later on in the year. When freezing them they are either chopped into chunks or shredded.

We also have courgettes, cucumber, fennel & tomatoes. Blueberries, blackberries & raspberries. Apples are swelling nicely (all 4 from two trees).

My brassica patch is looking extremely healthy & putting on good growth, I hope to have a good crop come spring.

The potatoes we planted for christmas have also grown well. They were planted 3 or 4 weeks ago & will be earthed up for the last time shortly. When the frosts are due I will transfer the tubs to the greenhouse. Hopefully this will help to ensure we get a crop.

The only downside I can think of is my peach tree. It is in the greenhouse & fed & watered. Only the peaches are the size of walnuts & dont seem to be increasing at all.

On a final note the eldest boy will be on his way to uni next month. He passed his A'levels, so there was great excitment this week.  The boy (youngest) is in the process of making plans to move into the big bedroom. He hasen't factored for his brother coming home what so ever. Enjoy your day!

12 comments:

  1. Congratulations to your son! I am also welded to my computer today (even though I am supposed to be on holiday), so I can sympathize with you :-) I've never grown potatoes for Christmas, and I look forward to hearing how yours get on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Its a first for us - growing potatoes for Christmas. I shall be posting updates.

      Delete
  2. Our runners are just starting to crop and the peaches actually seem to be growing. Our tree has been outside all the time since we put it out in spring 2011. We only had it in the greenhouse for a while after potting up. Maybe light levels in the greenhouse are too low as I know they are in ours which is probably why our tomatoes are so slow to ripen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an idea about the peach tree, the greenhouse is in a good postition though. I may have to drag the poor thing outside again.

      Delete
  3. I'm slightly envious as this year is the first time that I've got no runner beans, and it hasn't for lack of trying what with three attempts!
    Your peach tree sounds like my plum tree. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww I'm sorry flighty. I do like runner beans, and i'm sorry your plum tree is slow.

      Delete
  4. My runners have just started to produce too - I thought we would never get any - they have been so slow this year - just in case of complete crop failure I planted some in a container for a late crop - they are doing nicely now - so we may end up with a glut, which was not what I intended at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are on our third picking & I have no doubt we will end up with a glut.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations to your son on his A level results, it will be my son's turn next year. This is the first year that I decided not to grow runner beans, opting instead for French beans which have been a disaster because the slugs ate all the seedlings. I thought I'd have a go at getting a late crop of runners after all, and they look to be doing ok at the moment but only time will tell if I manage to get anything off them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm not sure if it is the parents or the students themselves who get so nervous. I do hope you get a crop of runner beans from your late sowing.

      Delete
  6. Oh you have so much going on! Very jealous of your runner beans. I might to runner instead of broad next year as the blackfly are too much to handle! I tried fennel once before too...it just bolted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We grow both broad & runner beans. Also some french beans though we are growing borlotti beans this year instead. I direct sow the fennel quite thickly to ensure enough germinate. A quick thinning once the seedlings are big enough tends to ensure we get a crop. However some of mine have bolted this year.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.