Tuesday, 28 August 2012

Vigilance in a small plot.

It had been a while since I took myself to the far corner of my garden. The nasturtiums & rhubarb tumbling over the fruit & flower bed, the constructing of the brassica netting, the weather or perhaps just sheer laziness stopped me. I strolled over there on Sunday & found this horror waiting for me!
My poorly redcurrent bush, the leaves had been eaten by gooseberry sawfly catterpillars, horrid things. I spotted some quite a few weeks back & removed them. I thought the problem had been solved, obviously I didn't check often enough. I shall be more vigilant next year, I do hope the bush will be able to recover.

I had a further stroll round the garden to lighten my mood, I picked some runner beans for lunch, earthed the christmas potatoes up for the last time & found a dahlia. I can't remember the variety but it is looking great.
I potted up my plants in the greenhouse, I really can't convey how pleased I am with these plants. Apart from the free perennial collection I ordered a while back, I grew the rest from seed, I have for next year.
Delphiniums, foxgloves, lupins, hollyhocks, lavender, geums, coneflowers, penstamons, veronicas & shasta daisies. There may be more yet!


Also you can see my purple almost black pepper on the right. There are five peppers on this bush, we have topped the bush now to hopefully encourage the peppers to increase in size.

On a final note I am on two weeks holiday from work. The garden will get a tidy, the house a major tidy . I am also attempting to teach myself how to crochet via youtube. I don't know why something supposed to be so easy is so hard for me, my fingers just seem to be everywhere. Wish me luck. Enjoy your day!




8 comments:

  1. If you're going to be taking an interest in crochet, may I suggest you follow Laura Miller's blog "My house in Africa"? http://myhouseinafrica.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/wip-update-and-running.html

    Don't ask me how I know Laura - she is also an occasional gardener! You and she may have something in common.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you Mark for the tip. I have taken a look ( some unusual designs!). I shall join the site & have a proper look through

      Delete
  2. Fingers croseed for the redcurrants. Lucky you having peppers we just have pepper flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have another bush in a pot waiting to be planted. I could kick myself as I knew they had targeted the bush a few weeks befor. Yes I do feel rather blessed about the peppers.

      Delete
  3. I like that dahlia, and that's a great list of flowers!
    Enjoy your holiday. I hope that you get plenty done, but don't forget to relax now and again as well. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you flighty. I am looking forward to planning where to put my plants.

      Delete
  4. It's all looking very productive. Love this time of year when all the work pays off! Hope you manage to master crocheting, though it's addictive once you get going! I'm the same with knitting though, can't seem to get the tension right so gave up :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmmmmm knitting & I did not get on shall I say. I would like to give it another go one day though & I think I am starting to get the hang of this crochet malarky.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.