Wednesday, 1 August 2012

Why I like my growing space!

As you know I only have a small garden. It is however big enough for me to potter in. That was the idea behind my little veg patch. Granted it has spread to include the entire back garden, but they do don't they. You can always find space for something else to grow.



I work full time though I am lucky enough to be able to work from home when I wish. Mike works full time & often works away. As much as I would like to spend more time in the garden with also having children most of my time is taken up with other things.

I like the idea of being able to pop outside in the evening & quite often in the morning. It is great fun to be able to harvest your own produce. Having such a small growing space means you have too be quite inventive with what & how you grow.

I have fruit trees in pots, as I like to utilise the space I have there is spinach growing in two of the pots & mixed salad leaves growing in two others. Crop rotation isn't as strict as it should be. As yet I haven't suffered any diseases. My main problem has been slugs. But then who doesn't suffer.



Most people who visit my garden are amazed with how much we grow, its fun to show people round the garden & send them on their way with some produce. In the summer months we buy very little in the way of soft fruit, vegetables & salads. I can grow enough to keep us well supplied for a few meals each week.

It does however irk me when you have a pessimistic so & so ( I do know a few) who look at the garden & whinge 'just think what you could do with a bigger space' or ' it's too much hassle to grow anything in such a small garden'. It really gets on my whick.



I am quite proud of what I have achieved, its my hobby & my choice. Incidentally if I did have a bigger growing space I would like a border devoted to peonies, you can imagine what the pessimistic people whinge to that. Enjoy your day.

14 comments:

  1. There's always some folk that have to have a whinge!

    Your space is wonderful, I find that I actually work better in a smaller space, you can plan it well and then look after it easily, when you get lots of room things tend to get out of hand or get forgotten about (sorry rhubarb....you know I meant to pick you).

    I love how productive your space is and that's all that matters.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, I do love my little plot, though I fear some of my rhubarb may have to be culled. Three plants really is too much.

      Delete
  2. I often see huge gardens devoted to lawns and narrow flower beds and think what a waste! YOu certainly don't waste your garden space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. One of the tasks of autumn will be to re design the front garden. There is far too much lawn there for my liking.

      Delete
  3. Your veg plot looks perfect and lots of plants in it. It's so rewarding growing things. I know what you mean about wee negative comments as I've experienced the same thing. I like the old saying, if you don't have anything positive to say... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I grind my teeth when people start whinging at me.

      Delete
  4. A lovely post extolling the virtues of your small garden. It's not the size that counts it's what you do with it, and I think that you're entitled to be proud of what you've achieved.
    I've always been a bit of a minimalist so my small plot is plenty big enough for me. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I agree Flighty, you have to make the most of what you have got.

      Delete
  5. Well said - I agree entirely! I like being able to keep my plot tidy and full, which Iprobably wouldn't be able to do if I had a bigger one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I do think I would struggle with the weeding & slugs if it was much bigger

      Delete
  6. I believe it is everyone's duty to use their allotted space to the best of their ability - and you have done that admirably.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am planning for next years extravaganza.

      Delete
  7. It is amazing what you can do with a little space and a lot of imagination. I think you have a great space Joanne and you use it really well. Quite right to be proud of what you achieve! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I am busy planning on what to grow/plant next year.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.