Tuesday, 4 September 2012

A bit of a ramble!

I took the netting off the blueberry bushes the other day. I have two in pots with a gooseberry in the middle. The birds had started to take an interest a few weeks back so we chucked some netting over to give us a chance to harvest some blueberries. We had none last year. Greedy blackbirds!
After I removed the netting I set about picking more blueberries. I just happened to glance over at the gooseberry bush & spotted these blithering things!










Now as a rule I dont I dont use sprays. However I knew we had a bottle bought several years back knocking around. I found it & gave the bush a few squirts. The amount of catterpillars that fell off. Horrid things. I hope the bush will recover for next year.

Anyhow these things are sent to try us. I shall leave you with a few pickings from the garden & a bit of bad news. Its not the end of the world & there are far worse things out there happening right now but - My christmas potatoes look like they are suffuring from blithering blight. I have cut out what I can see but I know in my heart it is blight & that I am fighting a losing battle. Enjoy your day!


9 comments:

  1. Not a good day at all eh? But at least you got some blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of blueberries in all. I must invest in another bush. I have a few small bags full in the freezer.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were wise to net the blueberries. You could plant more potatoes as it's not too late. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I fogot to net last year and I think we had three blueberries between us.

      Delete
  4. We too had loads of blueberries, the birds left them alone. I had frozen them and my other half tooks them out to use in a smoothie and forgot to put them back and then they were ruined! Hope your blueberry bushes recover Joanne and well done on a nice looking harvest. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it seems ages since I picked a lot of stuff.

      Delete
  5. My blueberries have done much better this year than they've done for the past two years, the blackbirds do love them though so you have to be quick to harvest them. Looks like a nice harvest there, if only my tomatoes would start to ripen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have left them un-netted now as a treat for the blackbirds.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.