Friday, 21 September 2012

A new chapter! Sorry it is quite a long one!!





Above are my two boys, the eldest -  Rob & the boy Harry! This photo was taken on Thursday night, the night before we were taking Rob to start Uni.
Boy do these boys bicker & argue, you could quite often here me bellow 'Pack it in'. I truly couldn't tell you who would start off each spat. That said I love them dearly & I now have one missing.

The boy has been off school most of this week, he was sick on the way to school on Tuesday & since then he has been sent home at lunchtime. He has looked very pale & stayed very close to me this week. We are pretty sure we discovered the reason why when I asked him to say goodbye to his brother this morning. He sobbed his little heart out & clung to his brother for ages. We sat him down and hugged him. He was told lots of photographs would be taken of Robs flat & of the sea & that he could speak to his brother as often as he wanted to & we would take him by train to visit. The poor little mite, he must of worried & worried all week. He had cheered up by the time we dropped him off at his grandparents.

Oh my word the car on the way down. I looked like an owl sat in the back. We had so much stuff for Rob, I bought enough food & cleaning materials & bits & bobs to stock his cupbourds up for a year. Needless to say Mike was not impressed, he was responsible for fitting everything in. My punishment for buying so much, I had a binbag full of stuff  & Robs guitar on my knee for a 2 1/2 -  3 hour journey. All you could see were my glasses & fringe.

We arrived to bedlam, no parking as it was on the seafront, cars, parents & students everywhere. We had a grace period of a few minutes which meant removing the stuff from the car whilst Rob signed in. Once he got his key we were allowed to take his stuff to his room, very quickly, as we had to move the car. It wasn't that quickly I tell you when I realised there were 8 flights of stairs to climb, no lift. We found his flat, sea view people - the lad has a sea view - excuse my photo, I will get a proper camera -

It was a case of chucking his stuff in after 7 trips up 8 flights of stairs & leaving Rob there to unpack, which is what he wanted. We are not bad parents, we really needed to get the car moved so someone else could use that space. We thought we could find a parking space set back a bit, but there was nothing, so we went into town & bought fresh food for his fridge shelf & frozen food for his freezer space. Now I like to spend money but I have never in my life spent so much as to kit this boy out for uni. Mike looked scared when I told him we would have to do it again in seven years after Harry does his A levels.

We spent several hours with him but he really wanted us to go & leave him to it & I (sorry) we just had to, I held myself together & didnt break down in front of him. The car was a different matter though.

We returned home & picked the boy up, who seemed quite ok. Then the phone rang with the news that Mikes father had been rushed to hospital. Mike is at the hospital with his brother, as yet I haven't heard anything. Instead of twiddling my thumbs I have been reading other blogs & writing this post & performing some kindnesses ( is that a proper word?) & drinking wine that tastes like penicillin. I have also been sorting out a Tv license for  Rob & sorting out how to get the I Phone my brother ordered for him (my brother really is a dipstick, a kind one but still a dipstick, it isnt being delivered to my brothers house until Saturday!!!) to where he is now living. The unfortunate child had a few phone calls from me this evening, he put up with me with great patience.
Regards

14 comments:

  1. Chin up- they are all the same when going to uni! Be prepared to take not only your son out for a meal when you go down to visit but a few of his friends as well! Been there, done that, but enjoy- it goes too fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be quite happy with that, not sure Rob would be though, so far two girls & a lad have moved in. One more room to fill.

      Delete
  2. After a week or so you'll forget this ever happened. You have to let him find his own feet. At least Rob has a great view - he can stare into the horizon as he ponders what to write in that dreaded first Assignment!
    P.S. Can he cook?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a fabulous view, I was chanting all the way up the stairs 'please let him have a sea view'. Yes he can cook & very well, partly the reason I bought so much.I wanted him to have a well stocked store cupboard.

      Delete
  3. It can be a bit of a fraught time for all concerned that's for sure. Anyway good to see all went well, but sorry to read about's Mike's father. I hope that it's nothing serious and he's back home soon. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks flighty. He is out of hospital now, he was kept in overnight for observation. The worst part of yesterday was not knowing when to leave but Rob is happy & confident & really enjoying this stage of his life.

      Delete
  4. As the mother of a 17 yr old boy, my heart goes out to you. Must seem so strange to be "missing one". Mine is a Londoner through and through, always nipping off with his friends so I'm sure he'll be fine when he gets to Uni. They're a lot more capable than they like us to know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is more than capable. He was rather impressed with how cheap the student union bar was!!!. It is what he wanted for so long, I'm glad he has the chance.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a tough week. Hang in there. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, but it was also rather fun & exciting.

      Delete
  6. Just popped over to say 'Hi' and welcome you as a follower :o) Great to 'meet' you! Had a quick look around (love the blog name) and I know I'll be back.
    Goodness, an emotional week for sure, hope your son is settling in well and your Father in law is on the mend now.

    Very best wishes
    Rose H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you thanks, the boy is fine, there is no need for me to worry??? I cant wait until he is a parent, well I can for a few years) & father in law is also doing well.

      Delete
  7. Been there, Done that! many times. But blimey 8 flights of stairs, I'm surprised you're still alive :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit I had to sit down on his bed to rest after the first climb.(and the 3rd).

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.