Friday, 7 September 2012

A treat or two!

It has been a glorious week weather wise. I have finished picking blueberries, I have seven bags in the freezer to use for muffins. The rasberries are still producing oodles of fruit & are also being frozen. The runner beans as always have beans to pick every day & I am looking forward to picking my borlotti beans.

I do like reading gardening magazines & have collections stretching back quite a few years. I also like the offers & free gifts that come with the magazines.

  This morning I was busy ordering free asparagus & free strawberry plants along witha free blueberry.


I have thought long & hard whether to continue with the asparagus. We have a small garden, though I have a long narrow strip where we had tried to grow asparagus in the past.

The plastic packs you see in the garden centre with dried up asparagus crowns in, please don't bother. We planted some 3/4 years ago & it was a waste of time. We had a couple of spears to harvest.

My latest idea for the long narrow strip was to have wooden beehive composters along with a selection of flowers for cutting. After spotting the offer for the asparagus crowns I am going to divided the strip in two.
One half for the asparagus & the other half for flowers & posh composters.

After the dire harvest we had with the strawberries this year, we have vowed never to grow them in the ground again. If the rain & cold didn't get them the slugs & birds did. Out of 18 plants we had about three strawberries. Some of the runners have been potted up & these & the new plants will be grown in tubs under cover. We had a bigger harvest from my dads two strawberry plants that he keeps in his conservatory.
Also we hade a huge harvest from the blueberries so an extra bush will fit in well. So in the next moth or so I shall be recieving 1'Liberty' blueberry bush, 10 'Elsanta' strawberry runners & 5 'Guelph Millennium' asparagus crowns. I also treated myself to some shallots 'Echalotte Griselle' when I ordered the asparagus. It would have been rude not to. Enjoy your day!

10 comments:

  1. I've had some good specimens from those special offers from magazines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, a free rhubarb plant has taken over a corner of my garden.

      Delete
  2. Plenty of treats indeed, and hopefully next year will be a bumper year for all of them.
    Enjoy the weekend. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to hope for a bumper year next year flighty!

      Delete
  3. We've got a bed of asparagus, but have never had many spears, and only 2 this year! Not really worth the space. Our strawberries disappeared overnight too. We later found a stash behind the shed next to a mouse or vole nest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats so sweet about the strawberries. I did have a long think about trying the asparagus again.

      Delete
  4. Seven bags of blueberries! I am in awe...I grew my own blueberries for the first time this year and did get quite a few helpings from 2 bushes (they were my birthday present from the kids, who definitely enjoyed harvesting!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love receiving plants as presents & the bags were small freezer bags. I have enough for a few batches of muffins.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.