Saturday, 13 October 2012

Buy one - get one free

Now my efforts in the garden are very hit & miss. I am certainly no expert in what I attempt. I have a more gung ho attitude if you like.

A few months back I bought a red gooseberry plant. Down to my lax gardening efforts, it is still in its pot. It was semi trained when I bought it but really I wanted to train it as a cordon. The bush had a short stem & then it broke into two long stalks. I snipped one of the stalks, pulled off some of the lower leaves & stuck the stalk back in the pot next to its sibling.

I really wasn't expecting much, I truly thought I would end up with a withered stick. I had given the pot a glance as I walked past it over the past couple of months but nothing more. I had a closer look though a couple of days ago. This being an attempt to tidy up some of the garden you understand & was pleasantly surprised to see I had two plants.
Ta-dah!
Enjoy your day!

10 comments:

  1. I tried creating a cordon gooseberry but it grew so vigorously from the base that it had other ideas! It won in the end!!!!

    I've also ended up with a gooseberry orchard due to poking bit of prunings into the ground just to see what happened.

    Gooseberries seem to have a keen determination to grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something to look forward to next year.

      Delete
  2. If only all plants had such a strong will to live!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I could name a few from my garden that need a bit more get up & go.

      Delete
  3. My two red gooseberry bushes were doing great, but the fruit disappeared overnight! Mice, I think :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww poor you.I had a good harvest of green gooseberries this year, I am determined to grow some red ones next year though.

      Delete
  4. Cuttings, deliberate or otherwise, are always worth trying, as it's surprising at what does take. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will have to expand next year flighty & see what else I could try.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.