Thursday, 11 October 2012

Filling up the freezer.

As I was preparing yesterdays evening meal, which was Chicken Korma if anyone is interested. I cast a glance at the bags of produce I had harvested at the weekend. Well to be truthful Mike had picked the stuff & typically  left it in the kitchen.

Now, I would have been more than happy to leave it there if it hadn't of been perishable, I'm sure the man thinks we have a preparing food for the freezer fairy, but what is the point of growing your own if you are going to leave it to go mouldy.



Aubergines, yellow courgettes & chilli peppers. The aubergines & courgettes have been cut into chunks & now live in the freezer until I can find the time to plan meals around them. In all fairness I do have plans for them. The courgetteswill be roasted in garlic oil & served as a side dish. The aubergines I suspect will be turned into a dip I found on http://marksvegplot.blogspot.co.uk/ with some homemade flat bread that should do for a tv dinner one satutrday evening.The chilli peppers will be turned into sauce & oil, that's if Mike stops giving them all away.

Autumn is well & truly on us in not at all sunny North Wales. The garden is dying back but there are still some surprises to be found.

The cosmos seems to never end, it keeps on going on & on & on. I though the gladiloli had finished but then this yellow one popped up. A lovely surprise!

Enjoy you day!


10 comments:

  1. Wow, my Aubergine dip is famous now! Thanks for the mention. Just to set the record straight, in our house it's the man that does the "getting stuff ready for the freezer" tasks. I hate to think how many Runner Beans I have edged, sliced, blanched, frozen and bagged this year. No courgetts in our freezer, but loads of beans, tomato sauce and pesto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish it was the man in my house. I really am looking forward to trying that dip next week.

      Delete
  2. That is amazing harvest! The cosmos in my garden are still going too and shows no sign of stopping. Nice to have the colour. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm rather pleased with it, last year the sweet peas went on forever. I do like cosmos though & the seeds were free.

      Delete
  3. You've done well with your aubergines, they look great. What a fantastic sea view your son has, which uni has he gone to? We'll be in the same position next year, we're attending open days at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought the plant reduced in a sale so I am really pleased to have a harvest off it. He goes to Aberystyth & absolutely loves it there, he really does.

      Delete
  4. Great harvest of aubergines.

    I always think of cosmos as a good filler plant we grow some every year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course - we've grown so many courgettes....I really must do this too.

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've lots of cosmos as well. I'm surprised to see a flowering gladioli. I've dug mine up to store and replant next spring.
    Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.