Sunday, 7 October 2012

Soup.

I have just made the most divine soup. It tastes glorious. I normally make a pot of soup on a Sunday. Depending when we have our main meal, which tends to be a roast on Sunday (obviously) we will have soup for a light meal & with toasted sandwhiches on Monday evening.

Last week in my wisdom or lack of I decided to invite the boys friends whom he was playing with to Sunday lunch. At the end of the meal there was half a bowl of vegetables left over. A mixture of carrots, broccoli & runner beans. Instead of sending them to the food recycling bin, I tipped them into a bag & stuck them in the freezer.

Now I am known for shoving things in the freezer & not finding them until months later. So I was out to prove people wrong. The magi-mix was dragged out of the cupbourd ( quicker than chopping things by hand) & I whizzed up an onion, a couple of sticks of celery & two cloves of garlic. Fried slowly with some mixed herbs, salt, pepper & some chilli flakes. I added red lentils & couple of stock cubes & some water. I then added my frozen mixed veg from the freezer.

Now the colour worried me, it does resemble sludge but it tastes wonderful. Very creamy. As I still can't locate the cable for downloading photographs I'm sure you wont be disappointed by my lack of evidence. I shall leave you on this nice sunny October with some past photographs, just to brighten the page you understand. Enjoy you week!!

Amazing what you find when scrolling through past photographs, I need to locate this lovely dress I'm wearing, I forgot I had it. Bad photo I know, I'm sat at my office desk, I tend to hit the wrong button when scrolling through photo's on my phone. I have lots of obscure ones!
I am so missing picking fresh cucumbers!!
This photo reminded me that we have to harvest this horseradish. Yummy yum yum home made horseradish sauce!!       




13 comments:

  1. I think we have a tomato soup coming on. Talking of losing things in the freezer - somewhere in ours I'm sure there is half a courgette cake frozen last year!

    Confession time - I have to admit we defy convention and enjoy roastless Sundays. Must admit we rarely have a roast being only the two of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have red cabbge in my freezer from last years harvest.

      Delete
  2. The soup sounds delicious so never mind what it looks like!
    Do find that cable as I'm missing looking at pictures. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was rather lovely flighty. Also the cable has now been found.

      Delete
  3. We had soup today too - Butternut squash with chilli. We love roast meat too, but don't feel obliged to have it only at Sunday lunch-time. Last night, for instance, we had a lovely piece of venison, purchased at out local farmers' market. It was really good - succulent and tasty. Ate it with gratin Dauphinoise and Savoy cabbage. (and lots of gravy!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to do a roast on a Sunday, we have such a big oven I like to fit as much as possible into the thing when it is on. A baking session takes place at the same time. Though from time to time I will make a curry or a stew.

      Delete
  4. I am very much a Sunday roast kind of person but at the moment am resorting to using all sorts of meat from the freezer that needs using up. Your soup sounds yum - I always make a big pot every week in the winter - couldn't do without it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good idea, being off on a Monday means my lunch is taken care of.

      Delete
  5. I think any veg mixture makes a good soup. I usually use the slow cooker to make soups. It's good weather now for soup too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to use my slow cooker also for soup, though this coming Sunday it will contain a stew with dumplings.

      Delete
  6. I made spinach and sweet corn soup last week. Lurid green but hey it tasted great.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.