Monday, 12 November 2012

A return!

From being hugely busy in work & at home for that matter, the urge to switch the laptop on for an evening's blogging has been non existent. I am also ashamed to admit to only a fleeting read of your blogs (when I was supposed to be working). No postings or comments from me for a while.

That has to change, it's very rude to start a blog & then not do anything for a while -  if you don't have a good enough excuse that is. I didn't have a good enough excuse as I think laziness doesn't quite cut it.

So I'm back. I am pleased to announce that my veg beds have been prepared for the winter, I am a very lazy & haphazard gardener so it really was a great achievment. I have been known to leave runner bean plants & canes up until the following season. If it wasn't for the fact of overflowing compost bins the fruit/flower bed would have been given a good seeing to also. Hopefuly this Saturday morning should see that sorted out.

Shallots, red onion sets & garlic have been planted along with a rather large amount of flower bulbs. The flower bulbs have been scattered far & wide & stuck into whatever space I could find. In my head I have secret plans for schemes & planting lines. This never actually happens as I am more for the chuck it in and see what happens ideal.

The space I have for vegetables is rather small though & I really should know by now that I have enough space for 20 shallot bulbs not the 50 I ordered & have squeezed in. Greedy me.

This patch of cosmos is still going strong & I haven't the heart to pull it up yet, I also found an alpine strawberry last week. Very unexpected & tasty too. An unusual treat for the beginning of November. We are very rarely hit by bad frosts or snow here, we had no snow last winter at all. However now I have typed that out I'm sure a proper winter will be on the cards.

Enjoy your day & many many thanks to those who have still viewed my blog. It truly is appreciated.

12 comments:

  1. I've planted some bulbs in pots so I can position them later when the perennials die down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bulbs in pots was an idea I had written down. I got a bit carried away when planting straight into the ground.

      Delete
  2. My cosmos are still going too. Yours do look lovely. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it is startig to go over now though. I am still reluctant to pull it up.

      Delete
  3. I was trimming back all my lavender bushes and found that 3 of them had brand new fresh flowers, absolutely unheard of in November!!

    Your Cosmos is lovely.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmmm I think I may have the same problem, I can see quite a bit of purple still on the lavender in the front garden.

      Delete
  4. Hello it's good to see that you're okay! All bloggers suffer this problem at times.
    The flower bulbs should provide plenty of welcome spring colour.
    The cosmos started flowering late and have just keep going. You're lucky not getting frosts as the allotments are exposed so suffer badly. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks flighty. I am looking forward to the bulbs flowering next year. I have planted lots of tulips with the hope of picking a few.

      Delete
  5. Gardening and blogging needs to be done at your own pace. If either begins to be a penance rather than a pleasure, you should give it up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to hear from you again - it isn't always easy to keep up with blogging especially at this time of year when gardening is virtually nil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you & it can be a bit too cold outside.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.