Tuesday, 20 November 2012

Clearing out.

I managed, after the bed glaring at me for the past few weeks to clear the fruit & flower bed. This lovely bed contains the vast majority of my soft fruit bushes, strawberries & rhubarb. The rhubarb will be moved as it proved monstrous last year. I kid you not, three crowns took over & when they died down, I found a gooseberry bush that had been hidden.

The strawberries have been pulled out, out of 16 plants we harvested a small handful of fruit. The summer was so wet & damp that the slugs had a field day. I have vowed never ever to grow strawberries in the ground again. I have some new plants ( free with a magazine offer) & these will be potted up & kept in the small greenhouse.

So I am left with a bed containing black, red & white currents & a gooseberry bush. Now these bushes are on the far side of the bed & there is ample space left over to be put to good use.

I had a delivery of asparagus crowns also free with a magazine offer. Only 5 crowns but they were a nice size & looked healthy. These crowns have been planted in a space of 5ft by 2ft space. Yes they should be given more room & devoted to a bed by themselves. However there is no such luxury here in the small space I have, they will have to take their chance like everything else. My next door neighbour has asparagus growing in his front garden, in an old rock garden, full of other flowers & bulbs. I have lived in my house for 14 years & his asparagus pre-dates me. He also has a big enough harvest for two each year.

I must admit it was lovely being in the garden on Sunday, a couple of hours spent pottering blew the cobwebs away.

8 comments:

  1. I need to do my winter chop back soon, or I will be leaving it too late. A great sense of achievement when it is complete though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my case it is a relief more than an achievement.

      Delete
  2. Rhubarb can be thuggish when it gets growing well, but it's worth it for the fruit! (well not actually fruit I know)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the weather was ideal for it this year, it will be well confined next year. On the plus side I know I have rhubarb in the freezer for some crumble & I will always call it a fruit.

      Delete
  3. 5 Asparagus crowns is never going to be enough! I guarantee you will need (want) more... I have 9 (1 of my 10 died before getting established), but it is still not enough to feed 2 people properly. Or are we just greedy??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A taste will do for me Mark, we had 10 crowns at one point, but they never established well. I'm sure the 5 new crowns in 3 years will give more pickings than my old ones ever did.

      Delete
  4. It sounds like you'll be enjoying all sorts next year!
    A couple of hours in the garden, or on the plot, at this time of year is a real bonus. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so flighty & yes spending time in the garden at this time of year is a bonus.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.