Thursday, 13 December 2012

Blimey its cold outside!

I'm sure I posted a while back that very little snow falls where I live & that it rarely gets very frosty. I would now like to take away those words as we have been in a grip of frost for the past 3 days. It has been far to cold for the frost to defrost & more layers seem to be added each morning. In fact I had to invest in a hat to protect my nearly elderly head. It is  a lovely thing with a bobble on top & does its job very well. I thank god every day for its creation.

The frost has made my brassicas collapse, I do hope they recover. Up until this morning they had been looking very healthy. My first attempt at growing PSB resulted in small plants with very little pickings. After taking the time to prepare the ground I was looking forward to harvesting next year.

I have had a lovely couple of days of perusing through the photographsI took of the garden this year. It is making me quite eager now for some warmer weather to start planting again. It is a terrible thing this gardening lark, always wishing time away. My plans for Christmas Eve apart from partaking in a snowball or two & the Snowman on tv are a few gardening magazines. I shall be out buying a few on the 24th. Tee-Hee.

Talking about Christmas -

Big Tree!

Little Tree!



I planted my garlic, red onions & shallots quite a few weeks ago now. The red onions & shallots seem to be sprouting well. However there seems to be a bare patch of earth where the garlic is. Anyone else with similar problems please? Its been a couple of years since growing garlic & I am sure it had sprouted before winter had set in.
Enjoy your day!

11 comments:

  1. Don't worry there's still time for the garlic to shoot and the brassicas should recover - ours are frosted every year.

    I too bought a hat/bonnet with a fleecy lining that covers my ears. I also bought a snood, thermal tights and some gloves that have fingertips that fold back so you can poke your fingers out to take photos.

    Just been photographing iced spiders webs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to add I have gloves to match my hat. They sound similar to yours.

      Delete
    2. The tips of the thumbs and index and middle finger fold back and are held in place with velcro so you can take photographs wearing gloves. The problem is that the velcro stick to things when the rips are over the fingers,

      Delete
    3. I forgot to mention they don't match I'm afraid.

      Delete
  2. Don't worry about the PSB plants. They are very hardy and will survive colder conditions than we have had recently. Last year mine survived -16C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope so, its a very full bed & it would be a shame to lose them all.

      Delete
  3. It's been cold here, and the plot is looking very bleak.
    I like the trees, and what you're planning to do on Christmas Eve. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.Apart from my brassica bed my plot is also looking dismal.

      Delete
  4. Gardening magazines and cups of tea sound good this time of year. Its amazing plants withstand the weather and generally recover - I imagine yours will be fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have more confidence now that they will.

      Delete
  5. Hello! What a nice looking website you run! Did you build your domain by yourself?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.