Friday, 14 December 2012

Compost bins.

Looking ahead to next year. I want to replace my compost bins. I have three basic black plastic compost bins. They do the job very well. Its just that - they are not pretty to look at.

I really want the wooden ones that look like beehives. There are lots of places that sell them & if I wanted just one I would probably buy one. However, I want three or four, as generous as Mike is I really cant see him spending several hundred pounds on wooden beehive compost bins for me to paint & stencil.

With having a small garden I want things to look nice, earlier on in the year I removed the old asparagus patch. It is a narrow strip that seperates the greenhouses & fruit trees. The compost bins will be moved there in the spring & as they will be in full view they need to look nice.

I remembered about a book I have http://www.amazon.co.uk/Geoff-Hamiltons-Cottage-Gardens-Hamilton/dp/0563383488

In the book are a selection of projects to complete. One of them being a wooden beehive compost bin. Come this spring I shall be armed with Mikes work bench, tools & some wood. Wish me luck.

Enjoy your day!

12 comments:

  1. I look forward to seeing how you get on with this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes & me, Mike is more tham amused at the thought of me making my own compost bins.

      Delete
  2. Best of luck! Looking forward to seeing how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be providing plenty of photographs when I post about them next time.

      Delete
  3. There's nothing better than wielding power tools!
    You CAN do it :o)
    Rose H

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have plenty of time to gradually persuade Mike that (good as you are at carpentry), he is better! Flattery usually works... Give him a choice: either knitting the woolly hats and scarves, OR building some compost bins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in no doubt he will attempt to take over.

      Delete
  5. Oooh good luck, i too love those beehive compost bins, can't wait to see them.
    Wishing you and yours a wonderful christmas time filled with peace, love and happiness
    love jooles x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I think I might be getting ahead of myself I want four of them It will be an early start next year.

      Delete
  6. Good luck, I'm sure that they'll be the the bees knees so to speak! Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed they will flighty. I will be painting the odd bee onto them.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.