Saturday, 1 December 2012

Family.

My week hasn't included any gardening. Apart from reading the odd gardening magazine. It has been far to cold outside. I will be dragging myself to the large greenhouse to water some plants though this morning.

It has however included attending a taster session with some guide dogs. My dad is registered blind & I help to look after him, I can't begin to tell you how fun that can be with working full time & having my own family to look after.

Anyway off  we went to meet the guide dogs. It was so much fun & I truly didn't appreciate just how much goes into training these dogs & the commitment needed by the eventual owner. It proved to be very interesting.

My dad is now in his 70's & is a small spindly man. My eleven year old is nearly as tall as his grandad. In fact it really is like looking after another child. A fact I felt more on Thursday when trying to encourage him to listen & take part. A link, should anyone be interested. http://www.guidedogs.org.uk/ The dog my dad practised with had earned over £3,000,000 for the association. Dempsey was a demonstration dog & had also been to the palace to meet the queen.

My interest in gardening came from my dad & I have his old gardening books. His interest came from his dad. My grandad used to win the same village gardening competition year after year when he was alive. I am sure he would woefully shake his head at my haphazard gardening skill, but I just grow for fun.

Rocket gardens http://www.rocketgardens.co.uk/showdetails.asp?id=763 had an offer on this week. That lovely constant garden I wanted had 20% off & I missed it. I am checking me email box each day now just incase another offer comes through. Wish me luck. Enjoy your day all.

12 comments:

  1. Is your dad actually getting a guide dog - lovely dogs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is on the waiting list, hopefully he should have one within 12 months. Fingers crossed.

      Delete
  2. My friend, Janice, that I used to work with had a wonderful guide dog calledl Tina, a lovely huge golden labrador, in fact she weighed almost as much as Janice!!

    But they worked so well together and we had many enjoyable days out, including to Blackpool illuminations (lots of describing by me) when Tina would be off duty and I would take over. We were treated like royalty by so many folk and let into loads of places for free all because of the lovely Tina.

    I hope your Dad can get a guide dog they are wonderful souls.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can your Dad still do some gardening? I know that you sometimes see gardens that are specifically designed for sight-impaired people, concentrating mainly on scent and texture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He grows a few tomatos in his conservatory. Also runner beans in the garden. We did plant some scented flowers for him last year, where he sits out in the summer.

      Delete
  4. I've known several blind people who've had guide dogs and I've always marvelled at the empathy between them. It's a charity that I've always been happy to support. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you flighty. My dads vision support worker is partialy sighted. She brings her guide dog with her, they are fabulous animals.

      Delete
  5. I knew someone who looked after puppies till they were ready for guide dog assessment - a lot didn't make it - they are very special dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes a huge amount dont make the grade, sitting in a church hall with 5 guide dogs was a surreal experience.

      Delete
  6. I bet a guide dog will make such a difference to your dad, they are such sweet animals
    I bet your dad is super proud of you x
    love jooles x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will make a huge difference to him yes & also give him some company in the day.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.