Sunday, 23 December 2012

Merry Christmas.

Later on today Mike & I will be digging up parsnips for Christmas lunch. In all reality it may be tomorrow morning.

They look healthy enough & I hope we get a good harvest as I really do not want to do a supermarket battle tomorrow.

I missed the boat this year for sloe gin, I did however bottle some of my blackcurrants in gin to make Cassis.

Yesterday morning after removing the leaves I added to the mix, I whizzed up the gin & blackcurrants & strained the mixture into a saucepan. The saucepan all ready contained 300g of sugar & 150 mls of water. Press the squished blackcurrants in the sieve to get the maximum amount of liquid out. Simmer the mixture until syrupy & then transfer to sterilised containers.

I made two &  half bottles worth. At the front of the picture you can see my sample Kir Royale. A dash of my home made Cassis in the bottom of a glass topped up with some Prosecco. Oh my, it was divine. I will certainly be making this again next year.

             The turkey is being brined a la Nigella style as I type.

Also a photo of my Christmas eve entertainment. I will be watching the Snowman & the snow dog on the + channel as Mike wants to watch Merlin. So just a few treats to take me through.
I hope you all have a great Christmas, I have had a great time with my little blog & I truly appreciate everyone who took the time to comment or give help. See  you in the new year, or before maybe.



20 comments:

  1. You look set for a good evening - I never knew Cassis was made with gin. Have a great Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or me, that is what I had scribbled down in an old note book from someone. It really is lovely. Merry Christmas Sue.

      Delete
  2. Your Blog has been wonderful to read.

    Have a very Happy Christmas.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless your heart thanks, merry Christmas.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you are going to have a boozy Christmas - enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it will Elaine, I get tiddly after one glass, hence the measured snowball bottles.

      Delete
  4. With the food, drink and what to watch organised it seems that your Christmas is sorted! Enjoy, and have a good time. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it is flighty. Merry Christmas.

      Delete
  5. I like the sound of your plans - all very "organised". I'd love to have a try of your homemade Cassis as well. We've been sipping the Sloe Gin, and very nice it is too. Like you, I'll be having roasted homegrown parsnips for Christmas dinner. Looking forward to corresponding again after the holiday. Best wishes, Mark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be more than happy to send you a sample. I am waiting for Mike to come home from delivering presents & we will be off to dig the parsnips. Merry Christmas.

      Delete
  6. Have a very merry Christmas. I'll get the diary off to you when the Post Office opens again so that it will be with you in time for the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wishing you and your family a Very Merry Xmas and look forward to visiting you in 2013,
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for 2013. I have seeds somewhere that I need to find.

      Delete
  8. That Kir Royale looks scrummy. I had never thought of making Cassis, what a great idea!

    Hope you had a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fab, I will be making home made advocaat next year also. My new fav drink.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.