Monday, 31 December 2012

Onwards & upwards.

Should 2013 prove to be as wet as 2012 I know I shall have a good crop of fruit. Which is probably why when nosing through my seed catalogues my eyes are drawn to the fruit pages.

Indeed I should like the space for a mulberry & a walnut tree. It isn't going to happen. I do however have my eye on a patio quince & medlar. I even have the spot for them so really its a done deal. I am still looking at apple & pear trees & am debating because of space restrictions a family tree of each. I do have the option of cordons but I really would like a yellow cherry tree, if I train it as fan shape I would have the space. Just about!

Anway less of my greed. I am sat at my dining room table & through the french doors I can see part of my veg patch & the field & trees beyond. It paints a lovely picture doesn't it. However the chaos before the french doors is what you don't see. The table has seed packets scattered all over it , my sewing machine ( Christmas present from Mike) as yet unused. He did though take me to a fabric shop yesterday to enable me to buy a stash of fabrics. My view of the dining room also contains a large Christmas tree due to be taken down, Mikes mountain bike, ( which if he doesn't move soon he will be in trouble) & his welsh rugby top over a chair. Also on the table with my seed catalogues are -
My gardening book for 2013 & my lovely new diary.
I am busy making plans, more seed catalogues have just come through the post. I really need to move myself & make some mushroom pies for lunch.

I shan't dwell to much on the failures of 2012. I shall learn from my mistakes. I will not be sowing autumn sown potatoes at the height of the blight season. Next year they shall be sown in the greenhouse in safety.
My bird feeding station will be moved. I have no leeks as the area was soon smothered with seedlings from the dropped bird seed. The leeks were pulled up by mistake when trying to weed the area.

Never mind I have a healthy looking brasscia patch & my fruit trees & bushes are also looking good. I have a bit more space for more vegetable plants. So all is good.

Mike is showing a slight interest for the veg plot. He would like to try some white flowered runner beans & some white beetroot he has seen. There will be a medley of beetroot next year then as I have the normal purple seeds in stock & I would like to try the yellow ones.

The rhubarb will be moved shortly. I have two options of where to put it. With having a small plot it sounds rather decadent to have an option. I will then have the space for a small ( & I mean small) wildelife pond & a small patch of comfrey.

In one of the seed catalogues there are comfrey plants for sale & I rather like the thought of making my own plant food.

I hope you have a great night tonight, we are going to Mikes brothers to spend the new year (evening) as I'm in work tomorrow. Mike wont be drinking as he will be driving ( & I get a lift to work tomorrow). I have my grey sparkly dress ready. Not as glamorous as it sounds its knitted & covered in sequins. But it is lovely & stretchy as I am knocking on 40 I need some comfort after the buffet. We did have a giggle yesterday as Mikes sister in-law sent a message asking what does Joanne like in her gin apart from more gin. I'm really not as much of a dreadful old lush as I sound.

 All the best & heres to a great growing season whether it be wet or dry.

Sorry just an edit, I just want to thank you all for following or reading my little blog. You have all been so kind. xx

I still want some chickens!! Enjoy your day!

16 comments:

  1. Get Mike to have a look at the new Runner Bean variety called "Snowstorm" - it has white flowers and is self-fertile, so doesn't need bees for polination. There is also a red-flowered one called "Firestorm".
    If you buy Comfrey, make sure you get the one called "Bocking 14",(aka Russian Comfrey) which is far superior to the others and is sterile, so only grows from root-cuttings rather than self-seeding all over your garden!
    Happy New Year to you, and I hope your gardening wishes come true (well, SOME of them anyway!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen them Mark thanks, in fact it may be the one that Mike was looking at. Indeed my comfery will be 'Bocking 14'or I will be over run. All the best.

      Delete
  2. I'm not sure a small bed of comfrey is possible unless you keep cutting it. The trouble is that the bees love the flowers so much that we probably leave ours growing for too long.

    So now I know you are Joanne can I stop calling you awpol?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Joanne or Jo. My plans tend to be on the grand scale, I was toying with the idea of planting them in tubs but I believe the deep root draws the goodness up from the ground. They do have pretty flowers so if I keep on top of most of them I should be ok. Fingers crossed. All the best.

      Delete
    2. It's a bit like finding out your teacher's first name!

      Delete
    3. Indeed, I also have a sister called Sue.

      Delete
  3. This time of year is great for making plans, if only we had the room for everything we covet. Happy New year. All the best for 2013.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy new year, there is a huge field at the back of my house, often I gaze at it & imagine what I could fill it with.

      Delete
  4. A good looking forward, rather than back, post to end the year with. It's always a pleasure coming here to read your blog.
    Happy New Year! Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless your heart flighty, thank you, happy new year.

      Delete
  5. I would love to have a Mulberry too. I am contemplating moving my rhubarb as it didn't do too well in the slightly shaded area last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My rhubarb grew like triffids last year, they were huge, hence the move.

      Delete
  6. Hope you have a great growing year and manage to fit in all those things you covet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And me,though I will be coveting for a long time.

      Delete
  7. If you do grow yellow beetroot I advise you to sow in modules as they do not have a wonderful germination rate, however they are sweet I pureed some with raspberries and used them to top cheesecakes last year.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.