Saturday, 29 December 2012

The new year ahead!

I have just been for a stroll around the garden. It was a last minute thought so I didn't have a camera or phone on me to take any photographs. I wanted to check the greenhouse really & as all was well there a small garden stroll beckoned.

It is quite warm out today, wet but warm. It was quite exciting to see the fruit trees & bushes bare. It also gave me a reminder to cut back the Autumn fruiting raspberries & the hyssop next month. I am really looking forward to next year when they start growing again & start sprouting leaves & fruit.

I was back in work on boxing day, I could if I wished worked from home but I like this time of year in the office, its quite fun with everyone in a good festive mood. I am also working New years day, so my new year garden resolutions will be posted on Monday.

I have won this diary from http://jo-thegoodlife.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/im-giving-away-year.html, Isn't it beautiful it will be filled with many many plans for 2013.

Talking of plans for New year Mike has found the stash of seeds we bought a while back. He also pointed out by having two greenhouses, a propagator & numerous seed catalogues it may be wiser to sow my own seeds than order the veg garden I wanted from rocket gardens.I can see his point, also the offer of a couple of new fruit trees if I saw sense may yet sway me.

Anyway we shall see. I hope you all had a great Christmas & as always enjoy your day!


12 comments:

  1. I too will be plating from seed this year, now I know the threat of the deer and have made fences round by veggie beds I hope to protect my precious seedlings better and not have to resort to panic buying of plants :-)

    I still don't like the greenhouse, preferring growing in a polytunnel which I don't have here, but I will persevere for the coming season and see if I can do better and thwart the slugs and snails that seemed to think it was 'their house'. LH is talking about ringing the whole thing with copper piping so they won't cross the threshold, it should be an interesting experiment. In my head I see little gymnastic slugs pole vaulting across it :-)

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No deer here to contend with thank goodnesss. I do like the copper piping idea though. It looks like it will be seed for me.

      Delete
  2. I noticed a subtle change in the "person" in what you said about the seeds -- "...the stash of seeds WE bought..." turns into "...it may be wiser to sow MY own seeds...". Is there any significance in this, I ask myself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caught out. 'We bought' can be translated into I choose & Mike buys. Anything after that is well & truly me.

      Delete
  3. It must be good to have your whole garden outside of your back door - we don't really get to stroll around the plot much at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, I can see my patch from the french doors when I am sat at the dining room table. In fact as I type I can see my brasicca patch swaying in the wind.

      Delete
  4. I think you have a bigger sense of achievement when you've grown from seed, though saying that, buying in plug plants certainly has it's place too, especially when the brassicas you grew from seed get wiped out by slugs, as mine did last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, you are right. I think I may buy a few new herb plants instead.

      Delete
  5. Well done on winning the diary, which I'm sure will be put to good use.
    Like you I'm looking forward to next year.
    Happy New Year! Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, all the best for the new year flighty.

      Delete
  6. Congrats on winning the lovely diary. Hope you had a happy Christmas and best wishes for 2013!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, all the best for the new year.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.