Wednesday, 30 January 2013

Chillies

I have now hopefully purchased or sorted all of my veg seeds for growing this year, however there is always room for more! Mike being on his 5 day break from work (this happens around every 6-8 weeks I think) meant we were able to visit a number of garden centres. It also meant I spent a number of £'s. Why on earth are seeds so expensive. We also went kitchen unit viewing & had lunch. All I can say is Magnet have the most divine units, though budget wise (certainly after seed shopping) Wren seems more likely. Anyway!

I have made my first seed sowing of the year. Not for me but Mikes choice.
I give you Naga Jolokia! The worlds hottest chilli!


I mean really! What on earth am I meant to do with these. That blinking man will be death of me, or eating one of those chillies will be.

Back to more sensible chilli selections. My choices were Poblano & Padron. The Poblano I saw once on a River cottage programme being roasted whole, the seeds being removed & then the pepper being opened up put on a wrap & topped with a meat/veg mixture, rolled up fajita style. It is something I am eager to try.
The Padron is described as 'The tapas pepper', the description of them being fried in olive oil & sprinkled with salt sold it for me.
Also one of the Christmas presents Mike received from my sister was a grow your own Chillies pack. It contains 3 varieties of seed Anheim - mild, Cayenne - fiery & Habanero - extreme.

I would like to say a big thank you to Jo at http://jo-thegoodlife.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/blog-of-month-january.html
Jo has very kindly nominated my little blog as her blog of the month. It was a very sweet thing to do & she has said some very kind words.
I also hope to find the time to post my completed seed selection list at the top of my blog soon. 
Enjoy your day!

16 comments:

  1. We don't use chillis in cooking so I don't grow them, though I did once just because the plant is so attractive covered in chillis. Will Mike actually eat the Naga Jolokia? Rather him than me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Without a shadow of a doubt Mike will be stupid enough, also his friends & work colleagues too.

      Delete
  2. hello,
    wow...many different chillis....
    lovely blog, i will visit again.
    have a nice day,
    regina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it will be nice to see you.

      Delete
  3. I buy all my seeds at the end of Summer when most garden centres reduce them to 50p a pack, I seem to manage to get all I need for the next growing season this way and save myself a fortune.

    I have never had any problems with seeds being out of date or not germinating, maybe just luck I don't know, but looking at the cost of some seeds this is the best way for us as I plant loads!!

    Although I have planted lots of chillis I am a bit of a wuss when it comes to the really hot ones, although I will cook with them I fish all bits out of the finished dish and just have the flavour.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the end of last summer I bought the majority of my seeds for half price. That was probably why the prices shocked me when I bought the last few I needed.

      Delete
  4. We have a huge collection of seeds but no chillies (other than a couple of freebie packets which we may or may not sow).

    I was put off by a bad chilli experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, a bad chilli experience doesn't sound good. I love them, not when the are stupid hot though.

      Delete
  5. I don't eat them so I don't grow them!
    Well done on being Jo's choice for blog of the month, it's well deserved. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am hoping to grow some of these chillies this year. I love chillies. If you are struggling with something to do with them you should check out my hot chillies sauce recipe. It's so easy to make and great to spread over raw meat to give it a bit of a kick. Also made delicious hot wings and just a touch spices up your dishes nicely!!

    You are making me feel really bad though, I haven't even sorted out my seeds yet...really need to be getting back into it!!

    As for the cost...try cutting back next year by saving as many of your own seeds as you can. It's simple enough to do and you should get better crops the following year as they will be more used to your growing medium/soil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall take a look, I used to visit Florida a lot many years back & really enjoyed the hot wings they have there. I will save some seeds, quite a few of the seeds I bought are not F1 so I will be ok.

      Delete
  7. I am not a chilli fanatic ahtough I always grow a couple of mild ones but I will wait till the garden centre has a few plants in. Good luck with your hotties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We bought plants last year, Habaneros, then Mike started doing some research.

      Delete
  8. You know already that I love growing, photographing and cooking chiilis! I'm not a great fan of the really really hot ones, which are difficult to use sensibly. This year I am also going to try some Sweet Peppers, with a view to making Paprika.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Mark, we made used the Habaneros to make our own version of tabasco. That is as hot as I can handle & then in limited quantities. I can't wait to read about you making Paprika, that sounds fun.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.