Saturday, 5 January 2013

January

According to my old 'Practical gardening & food production in pictures' book, which will now be known as PG  for short, there are a number of jobs for me to complete this month.




I would like to have a more productive plot this year & there is nothing wrong with some good old fashioned advice.
January work
Turn over vacant soil, add lime if your gound needs it, spread manure during frosts, order seeds.

" Apart from the usual seeds, make a note to try out one or two new or unusual varieties-Golden Wonder potato for flavour, alpine strawberries, or the Paramount suger pea. A practical novelty or two will give additional interest to your garden. "

Now I am trying to limit my seed buying this year. I have most of what I need in stock & with having a small plot, a limit to where I can put the plants. I have decided to limit myself to one new variety in each of the following Fruit, Vegeatble, Salad , Flower & Potato.

Fruit - I have seen some alpine strawberries in red & yellow, I thought they would look nice planted around the apple trees I have in half barrels.

Vegetable - I think I would like to try some purple podded mange-tout, I will be cutting down the amount of runner beans we grow. They are so prolific anyway. I will be growing the runner beans & purple mange tout up wigwams.

Salad & flowers - are still undecided, though practical novelty it will be.

Potato - I tend to stick to early potatoes as due to space restrictions I grow them in tubs, however when I first started to dabble in growing my own, I grew a few maincrop ones in a dustbin with great success. I buy the small packets of seed potatoes from the garden centre now, they stock bags with approx ten in each which is ample for my needs as I like to have a few varieties. Should they have 'Golden Wonder' that will be my maincrop of choice, if not it will be one suitable for roasting or baking.

That is my little garden post for today, the eldest has gone back to uni, the youngest is in his bedroom & from the sounds of it raking lego across his carpet & Mike is fishing. Little old me is sat here on the laptop working & blogging at the same time. (With The Good Life on the tv)

Enjoy your day!



10 comments:

  1. I have a little army of helpers digging over the veggie beds for me at the moment - the chickens are extra-free ranging outside chicken world.

    Their enclosure is so muddy after all the persistent rain that it seemed a good idea to be letting them out everyday, so they are de-bugging the veggie beds for me and turning over the soil.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like some chickens in the future, perhaps I could make use of my next door neighbours small flock to de-bug my veg beds.

      Delete
  2. If you grow alpines try to plant as many as you have room for if you want a worthwhile harvest. We use them on our plot as edging plants.

    By the way I have the same folders as the one propping up the PG book. I can see them on the very top shelf 5 of them which I haven't read for ages - maybe a browse is in order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alpines are an idea, last year I had Violas edging the beds & they worked very well with the brick edging.

      Delete
  3. It's good to read a post like this to see how people are looking forward to the coming season, and if the weather to do a few jobs in the garden as well. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm posting like this flighty to motivate myself to do more. The book tends to be a constant companion, so I am putting that to good use.

      Delete
  4. There'll be no turning over of vacant soil here at the moment, it's still far too wet. Lots still to do though, so I'm hoping for drier weather so I can get on with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit swampy in places here also.

      Delete
  5. The concept of "vacant soil" is hard to come to terms with! I have seed potatoes on order; can't wait for them to arrive. Fingers itching already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I buy mine from the local garden centre, I haven't been yet to see if they are in stock. They stock a lot of smaller packets along with the sacks of seed potatoes. Ideal for me.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.