Sunday, 13 January 2013

Seed post 2013 No1.

I was going to post my seed selections for this year all in one post. I have changed my mind.
 A) I am still nosing through seed catalogues &
 B) Mike has put the ones I have away somewhere & he is out watching football.

However I was taken out this morning to the local garden centre to see if the seed potatoes had arrived. They had a small selection in stock, not as many as last year though & I think I'm a tad early.

Anyway so far my potatoes for 2013 are -

First early to be harvested June/July I have Rocket & Vales Emerald.
Second early to be harvested July/September I have Charlotte & Bonnie.
Maincrop to be harvested August/September I have Rooster & King Edward.

They had no Golden Wonder, Pink Fir Apple or Anya in stock, so I will be go back next month to see if anymore have arrived. I don't know where I think I have the space for them.

Ten tubers of each apart from the Roosters, there are only five in the pack. They do make a lovely roast potato though.

Now because of my small plot I shall be growing all of my potatoes in tubs. The 1st & 2nd early varieties will be treated as either salad or new potatoes & grown in rectangular recycling tubs. I'm quite happy for these potatoes to stay small, so I will have two tubs of each. The maincrops will be grown in old dustbins, It gives the potatoes more space to grow larger so with luck I will have a few bakers this autumn. I also plan to attempt to store a few of the maincrops for Christmas lunch 2013. I'm sure that will be a fun post later on this year.

I'm off now to put my potatoes away. I shall set them out for sprouting over the next few weeks & hope to have them planted by the end of March.

With Mikes project on the go finding a dust free sprouting place should prove fun. Enjoy your day!



8 comments:

  1. As you've seen I was also buying seed potatoes this morning. It'll be interesting to see how we all get on this year. I had a poor yield last year so hope for better results this season. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't bother last year apart from my poor attempt at the autumn sown ones. I'm quite excited.

      Delete
  2. We grew vales Emerald last year and really liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good, they do look nice on the packet.

      Delete
  3. Still waiting for my seed potatoes - ordered a couple of days after Christmas. Pink Fir Apple is always on my list, as is Charlotte. I also grow mine in containers, due to lack of space elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have grown them both before, we were asked if we were trying 'the furry apples potatoes' again this year. They were well received.

      Delete
  4. I'm always late buying mine, I think I'll just grow them all in tubs and dustbins this year and leave more space in the beds for other crops.

    Of course that will have the added benefit that I can cover them up if it rains non-stop like last year, I lost virtually all my potato crop to the weather.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of covering the tubs up, thats a good idea.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.