Friday, 18 January 2013

Seed post 2013 No2.

It is snowing here, last year we had none, in fact we tend to get very little, however it is sticking & I can see huge flakes swirling through the window.
A view from the sitting room window, a bit scrappy I know but that is quite a lot of snow for where I live. The youngest boys primary school seems to be the only one open in the county. I took a rather disappointed 11 year old to school this morning, he had wellies on his feet & his school shoes in his bag. He soon cheered up when he saw his friends & on the promise they behave the headmaster told them they may be able to build a snowman later on. I rather like the 'suck it up & move on mentality'. I have heard plenty of whinging parents saying that the school should be closed. My children have always been in the blessed position that we are able to provide for their every need. They have also been taught that if they are able to do something then they must. The boy is able to get to school, the school is open, case closed. Any way whinge over, well nearly Mike is a lorry driver & naturally has to drive in conditions like this, he is also quite happy to do so, however being sent to the other side of Birmingham to find that the load had been cancelled the previous day & then being sent back to North Wales to deliver elsewhere is a different matter. I shall rest easy tonight when is safe at home.

Right Seed post 2013 No2- Legumes.










I have had a good sort through my seeds & for such a small growing space I have a huge amount. In a bid to use what I have I will be restricting what I buy -

Broad bean - Meteor - I'm going to sow into pots in the greenhouse in February & plant out in April, yes I could sow them direct in the ground but I'm doing things a tad different this year.

Runner bean - Scarlet Emperor - I grew this variety last year & we had a huge crop, Mike would like to try  a white flowered runner bean, we shall see as I have these in stock. I only want 10 plants (don't laugh) so I don't really want to be buying anymore.

The photo on the right shows 'Yardlong beans' I have had them for quite a while, I'm going to give them try this year, just a few on a wigwam for a bit of fun. If they succeed all the well, if not, well I haven't lost any money.

Legumes to buy - I need a purple podded mange tout ' Shiraz' I believe it is called, when I say I need, really it means I want. I'm sure you understand.

Dwarf french beans - I may just stick to green but If the yardlong beans germinate I shall have a mix of yellow & purple. Whatever variety I find in the garden centre. They look pretty on the plot.

Right that's enough from me, enjoy your day all & stay safe.

22 comments:

  1. I'm also looking at my seeds to see what I want to grow but because 2012 was a total washout here in Cornwall, with one of the worst summer I've known since I moved here 15 years ago and everything getting eaten by slugs, I'm having a bit of a dilemma trying to decide what to grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here the weather was just awful last year but I'm going with what I have in stock. Its got two chances.

      Delete
  2. We clear at the moment but very chilly. The schools here also remained open all week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The snow is getting lighter now thankfully.

      Delete
  3. We tend to be sheltered form heavy snow too but lots is predicted. If it comes from the west it tends the be dumped on the Pennines.

    We usually start our beans in pots in the greenhouse. Anything to give them a head start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't usually get a lot of snow thankfully. I'm itching to sow something so beans in pots it will be.

      Delete
  4. We have about 3 inches depth of snow already. Luckily I have had a day off today, so I have not had to do any travelling. I hope Mike got on OK, because the weather in Wales has been awful.
    Re the seeds: I rcommend you buy "Scarlet Empire" instead of "Scarlet Emperor". It is a new improved version. This is the variety that did so well for me last year.
    I had a go with Yard-long beans once, but they failed completely. They are VERY cold-sensitive, so don't sow them too early - and hope for a good Summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I buy new runner beans it will be white flowered for Mike. I live on the border of Wales so we don't tend to get much snow here & thanks Mike got back to his base safely. I will try the Yard long beans if they work they work I have nothing to lose. I think we are all hoping for a good summer.

      Delete
  5. I hope making the snowman cheered your little boy up :o) and how annoying for your husband.
    Wishing you a very happy weekend
    love jooles xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did indeed cheer him up, also after school making snowballs with his friends. xx

      Delete
  6. We have freezing temps but hardly ever any snow. Sounds like you have your garden all planned out. I only plant one variety of bean and that is "Mrs Fortunes climbing Bean". Matron from "Down on the Allotment" was so kind as to send a few in the post to me. Originally acquired from Doris Fortune who acquired them from the retired Head Gardener who attended the Royal garden at Windsor and said to be a favorite of the Royal Family. They have blue flowers and green and blue pods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to have more growing this year by making proper plans. An interesting history you have with your beans.

      Delete
  7. It snowed here yesterday, and settled as you'll see in my post tomorrow.
    Ten runners is plenty as most people tend to grow far too many and end up giving lots away. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree, Mike loves giving away the veg we grow though we tend to grow 16 runner bean plants & it really is too many.

      Delete
  8. We've had quite a bit of snow here too. You've reminded me to sort through my seeds as I've got plenty of beans and peas to organise!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The snow's all gone here now, thank goodness. We had a really heavy snowfall on Friday night in to Saturday morning, and then we had heavy rain which washed it all away, I've never seen it clear so quickly before. I hope it stays away now. I've featured your blog in today's post, I hope that's ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snap with the snow & the rain. The garden was looking very pretty when I went to bed, not when I woke up & the snow had gone. Thank you, your very kind.

      Delete
  10. Hi Joanne, I popped over form Jo's blog at 'The good life' to have a quick read and you do have a lovely blog. It's nice to meet you and I shall try and keep up with how things are gong for you from now on!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you its lovely to have you on board.

      Delete
  11. Hi, I also followed the trail from The Good Life. I am pretty much into the same kind of things: gardening, crafting, treasure hunting at charity shops etc, baking, child herding, DIY. In a twist to the usual way of things we are off having a tropical adventure for a couple of years but the same interests have followed us. I shall enjoy seeing a British spring emerging in your garden.

    Eleanor x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A tropical adventure sounds interesting & fun?

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.