Saturday, 2 February 2013

A promise of things to come.

The sun didn't last. The rain came in the afternoon, drizzle really but the sky was quite grey. After picking the boy up from school yesterday I peered through the french doors & thought I saw a bit of purple in the veg patch. Naturally I had to investigate.
The broccoli has started sprouting
I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am. I grew these plants from seed. Nurtured them & planted them. They have been protected for months now from cabbage white butterflies & pigeons. I have six purple sprouting broccoli plants in an overcrowded brassica bed. I shall feed the plants in the next few weeks just to give them a boost. Also in the brassica bed the spring greens are on the move, more like cabbages really but still, I grew them It is almost like having another child!
Slugs have nibbled the outer leaves but look at the middle.
 A stroll round the garden revealed more treasures
One of the primrose plants from last mothers day

A baby fig, I think I have 10 on the plant

& lupins in the greenhouse.
Enjoy your day all!

18 comments:

  1. Yes, that Broccoli looks good. What varieties do you have? My "Rudolph" ones are going to be ready soon. They claim to be Extra Early - which in my experience means they come on about two weeks before the others!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I has to check. Thy are 'Early Purple'. I may try Rudolph for next years pickings.

      Delete
  2. Ypur enthusiasm for your wee plants is wonderfully infectious! It is lovely to see your plot producing even in the depths of winter.

    Eleanor x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is great yes, a bit more time & I will be able to pick something.

      Delete
  3. It's always good to start seeing plants (re)appear at this time of year. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is flighty, my bulbs are poking there way through the ground nicely.

      Delete
  4. It's always nice when you start to see the new growth coming through....it makes you realise how your hard work from the year before was worth it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy looking back at the previous year. The photos I took are a good record to keep.

      Delete
  5. I'm envious of your psb, none for us this year, the slugs got them at the seedling stage. You'll be well fed from six plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have any last year, or the year before that. It has been three years since i grew it so it has been a long time coming.

      Delete
  6. I am also envious! We were inundated last year, but the evil slugs also got to mine :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping the wintery weather has helped to keep the slug population down this year.

      Delete
  7. I love this time of year when these things start to appear in the garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is the start of things to come.

      Delete
  8. Your broccoli is looking good. The pigeons descended on mine when it snowed and ate the lot. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine has been well netted. Mainly from the butterflies but we do get inundated with pigeons too.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.