Tuesday, 12 February 2013

A surprise in the garden

The sun was out yesterday afternoon, naturally this encouraged me into the garden. It was that or the four eleven year olds pounding round like a herd of elephants that made me go outside.

It really was lovely outside, at first I didn't need a jacket but that soon changed, it is still winter after all! Armed with a jacket & hat I set off on a little stroll. I cut my Autumn fruiting raspberries back & also my blackberry bush. There were signs of new raspberry canes pushing through the ground which is always a welcome sight.
Before chopping back, I forgot to take an after photo

New canes appearing
 My raspberries are set at the back of the garden behind the veg beds. They are against the fence that separates the garden & the field. It is a fairly narrow path but there is still enough space to walk & gather raspberries from one side & veg the other. The path is covered with bark & in the next few weeks I will top it up. The last lot of bark was put down when Mike built the raised beds. That was about four years ago so it really needs to be topped up again.

Pruning the raspberries was a job I had planned for a while & I'm glad it is now complete. Anyway before I went back indoors I checked the fruit bed & look what I found .
Blackcurrent bush infected with Coral spot.
I thought I knew what is was but I googled 'orange spots on blackcurrent bush' to make sure. It was indeed 'Coral spot'. It normally affects dead wood so my poorly blackcurrent bush has now been pulled up & set aside to burn. I will now have to take myself off to buy another Backcurrent. I have another one but I need two. For jam & Cassis you understand. Enjoy your day!

12 comments:

  1. Lucky you as it snowed here all day yesterday but thankfully didn't settle so it was just cold and wet.
    Pruning my raspberries will be one of the first things that I do when I can get plotting again.
    Thanks, and you too! Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is snow due for tomorrow but I don't think it will stick. I was glad to get the chance to prune the raspberries. I think it is one of those jobs I keep on putting off.

      Delete
  2. Its great to see signs of life in the garden!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is lovely to see things growing again.

      Delete
  3. We too had snow here all day, it didn't stick just fell from the sky all day long!

    It's a good job you spotted the Coral Spot nice and early before anything else has been affected.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a bit of a shock really, apart from the gooseberry sawfly last year not a lot happens here.

      Delete
  4. sorry about your coral spot,poor blackcurrants its usually big bud mite that attacks them must be all that damp we have been having,lovely to see your raspberries doing so well,mine are no where near coming out yet as we also had snow yesterday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely surprise to see the raspberries pushing through the ground.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Indeed I will be, but I'm not allowed out this weekend

      Delete
  6. What a shame, still, it gives you a chance to look at the other fruit bushes whilst you're getting the replacement. It would be a waste of a trip for one thing only, wouldn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terrible waste of a trip buying one item. I am also after a pink current, apart from a couple of small apple trees for Mothers day I think my fruit buying will be over.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.