Friday, 8 February 2013

Lack of motivation

Is anyone else suffering from a lack of motivation? I have so much to do in the garden but it has been so cold & windy lately that each time I have gone outside I have made a hasty retreat back inside.

Whinge over, this Sunday even if I am under 3ft of snow I need to prune the Autumn fruiting raspberry canes down & the Buddleia. While I am out there I shall prune back the Hyssop also.

Fabulous plants Autumn fruiting Raspberries. None of this sorting through the canes, keeping the new ones & cutting out the old ones. No battling through thorns & being ripped to shreds by tying in canes.
With my Autumn fruiting raspberries I cut the whole lot down in Feb each year. New canes start growing & I am picking fruit come August. I mainly have Autumn Treasure, there are a couple of Polka & I did invest some of Mikes money in two extortionately priced pots of yellow autumn fruiting raspberries last year. They fruited very well except they were red!
My hyssop bush is covered with blue flowers each year & smothered with bees. That is the main reason why I bought it. You can use it in cooking I believe with beans but I'm happy to be wrong. It has I've read a bitter taste to it. Anyway the bees like it that's the main reason.

I hope you are all feeling much more productive than me, enjoy your day!

17 comments:

  1. Yes I am! I've been to the plot twice this week but as well as being too cold the ground is still far too soggy, and the forecast for Sunday is lots of rain!
    I have a mix of raspberries which I'll be pruning and tiding up later this month.
    You're right about the hyssop, which is a great plant for bees.
    http://www.victoriananursery.co.uk/Hyssop_Plant/
    I might be feeling more productive but as for doing much...
    Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My bees (as I call them) love the hyssop. It is still a time for day dreaming about the garden.

      Delete
  2. Yes! I'm getting a bit antsy. Part of me wants to start working outside, but part of me says its too cold and wet. On the plus side, March usually shows some really good weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is always March to look forward too.

      Delete
  3. I'm not even thinking about doing anything outside yet, the ground's far too claggy and there's snow forecast again for this weekend. I shall content myself with sorting through seeds and perhaps sowing a few more than I've already got on the go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking of filling up my other propagator pots with seed compost. It is on anyway so a bit of warm soil might encourage the seeds to sprout.

      Delete
  4. I lack motivation too. The autumn raspberries won't suffer for having to wait but I could do to sort out the blackberry before it becomes a thicket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes my blackberry needs to be chopped back also, no danger of it becoming a thicket though.

      Delete
  5. what you need is bite sized gardening. One self contained task eg prune rasps. Then back inside for a restorative cuppa. Maybe a bit later venture out again for another bite.

    Eleanor x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, sounds like my style of gardening.

      Delete
  6. Stitches and seeds is right,I think the problem with most gardeners is we are our own worst critics and expect so much from ourselves.I managed to fracture a vertebrae recently,so have had to be very disciplined with myself.Where as before I would think,I will just do that whilst I am here,oh that needs a prune etc,etc.I am sure you know where I am coming from.I have tried to go out nearly-ish most days and do just ONE trug!!!Slowly but surely I am getting there,I know if its a trip to an allotment its not so easy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear I hope you are ok now. I shall be nipping out to the garden tomorrow morning. I did manage to do a spot of weeding yesterday, so that is one less job.

      Delete
  7. I try to do a bit of gardening but with the cold and wet I end up in the orchid house doing nothing in particular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Orchid house, how decadent. I like perching myself in my large greenhouse & gazing through the windows.

      Delete
  8. My gardening efforts are currently concentrated on indoor windowsills - fortunately I have already pruned my Raspberries and my Buddleia.
    There is only a certain amount of planning and scheming you can do, and I'm impatient to get on and put some of my plans into action. Doesn't look as if they will start this weekend though, judging by the weather forecast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pouring with rain here Mark, I have set my potatoes out for chitting though.

      Delete
  9. Not much motivation going on here either!!
    I cut my raspberries down at the beginning of winter. So far I have ended up with fruits as early as may. I don't know if this is due to me cutting back early or just the variety/weather but I will keep doing it. I have no idea what type of raspberry they are as I was given them by another allotment holder.

    The hyssop looks beautiful...definitely something for me to plant near my beehives!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.