Monday, 11 February 2013

New fruit trees

I went to Aldi yesterday morning. I like Aldi, my local one always has a good selection of fruit & veg & I like the 'super six offers' Aldi have every two weeks. This week it was 'Garlic, Mango, Pineapple, Kiwi, Cucumber & forgive me if I am wrong mushrooms all at 59p.

We bought the first five, the boy eats a lot of fruit & it is half term this week so he will be making a fruit salad. He will also be making a mess of my kitchen as he & his cousin will be making turkey burgers this evening, the boy Harry is 11 & my boys have been taught at an early age how to prepare & cook food.

It isn't as impressive as it sounds, I have turkey defrosting now. This afternoon it will be tipped into the magi mix along with a red onion, breadcrumbs, herbs, an egg, some cheese & seasoning. Some will be shaped into burgers, the rest into meatballs. As long as they know where food comes from & how to make a few things I'm happy. Indeed when we packed the eldest off to uni last year I made sure he had a well stocked pantry. Well in his case a well stocked cupboard. Judging by the amount of fish finger sandwhiches he eats I think the cupboard is still well stocked. I digress!

As I skipped happily across the car park towards the fruit trees Mike grabbed my arm & said no, we had no time. Really I need to be fitted with child reigns when we go out. We picked our few items from the shop & while Mike paid I stood outside & gazed wistfully at the fruit trees which were priced at £3.99. Very healthy they looked too. I also had time to look at what types were on offer, they had peach, pears, apricots, apples (cooking & eating), cherry, plum & greengage. They also had raspberry canes. Lots of named varieties all growing to 8 - 10 ft when kept pruned.

As I was steered across the car park to put the shopping in the car Mike looked at me & said you really want some trees don't you. Silly question really! To cut this long story short I was bought two pear trees 'Concord & Bon Chretien & a Greengage the name I can't remember now but I will update you. Naturally my trees will be grown in large tubs & I will be off to buy two half barrel planters for the pear trees next weekend. I have one ready for the greengage.Enjoy your day!

12 comments:

  1. Now that's MY kind of shopping, a bit of fruit and the promise of a lot of fruit to come in the form of fruit trees :-)

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was my kind shopping trip. Not much spent & someone else to pay.

      Delete
  2. The word incorrigible came to mind when I read this post!
    It snowed here overnight and is now so it's an armchair gardening day for me. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your are right Flighty, I'm a terrible person. I may force myself into the garden after, it is cold but dry.

      Delete
  3. You're going to have your own orchard by the time you're done. I agree with teaching children where food comes from, there's so many youngsters nowadays who haven't got a clue. My son will be heading off to university this year and the one thing I'm worried about is how he'll eat as he isn't a very good eater at all, he's always been so fussy. I suppose I'm just being a neurotic mother really, he's much better these days than he used to be. My daughter is at the other end of the scale, she eats anything and everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am indeed, I noticed a bit of space by the greenhouse that needed filling.
      Sometimes you just need to leave them to it, it is surprising just how well they manage. Knowing he had a small pantry & was able to make the basics helped me know he had something there to eat.

      Delete
  4. We have a couple of greengages - fairly large trees now - and I love them. We originally bought them after some horrid individuals stripped our plum tree on fruit. Being on the allotment we can't watch over it! We guessed if the said individuals saw greengages they would guess that they weren't ripe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clever idea. I bought the greengage to help pollinate my plum tree, also the idea of greengage jam & wine sounds nice.

      Delete
  5. I reckon that £3.99 for a fruit tree is a bargain by any standard. Even if it didn't do very well you wouldn't have wasted a lot of money. I think maybe I should pay a visit to my local Aldi next weekend...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My local Aldi had a fantastic selection Mark. Your right at £3.99 it is worth a gamble.

      Delete
  6. Yipee just bought a pear tree from Aldi too, my usual Aldi didn't have any but on a visit out, went past another Aldi and needed a few things and there were these trees and ...... !
    Just wondering if I can grow it in an old dustbin (plastic) that has a big hole already in the bottom. I rescued it from a skip to grow potatoes in. Asked the owner of skip if I could have it and she said yes but its got a big hole in it -perfect said I and she gave me a really funny look. I didn't enlighten her - didn't want to give her ideas and have her claim the bin back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. p.s.got my first ever alottment last month, so now will have space for potatoes on there

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.