Monday, 18 February 2013

Start of the growing year

Well I have made a start. I spent a lovely couple of hours in the garden yesterday morning.

I potted up some strawberry plants
I potted up my new blueberry, I refreshed the soil in the other two blueberry pots. I have a big of Ericaceous compost because as you know Blueberry bushes hate lime & need to be planted in a lime free soil. As I have a fair bit left over I might have to invest in some of those fancy pink blueberry bushes. Shame to waste the compost.
Broad beans have been sown in the large greenhouse along with some sweet peas. I have sown the broad beans in fibre pots. When they are big enough I can then transplant them straight into the garden. The sweet peas have been sown in toilet roll tubes so they can get a long root run. For ease I placed each tube in a fibre pot.
In the little greenhouse - a trough of early carrots have been sown. After these have been harvested I shall re use the trough for some dwarf beans. I have also sown a tub of mixed salad leaves, a winter blend & some radishes. I am keeping these tubs under cover for an early harvest, I will be sowing some early spinache & spring onions in the same way.

The propagator is full. All chilli seeds have been sown along with some sweet peppers, celery & cauliflower. The celery I am going to grow in tubs. I'm aiming for six plants, if I keep them well fed & watered I'm sure it can be done. I have space for four cauliflower plants maybe five. I have chosen the variety 'Snowball', these can be planted closer together.

I have been given another propagator & some fancy pots 'self watering ones'. My dad has decided that he won't be growing anything anymore. As many of you know he is registered blind & waiting for a guide dog. He wants the conservatory cleared so that is a job for Mike & I this weekend. As long as I keep him supplied with tomatoes & my mum with fresh lettuce he will be happy enough. It is a rather fancy propagator. It has a variable temperature not fixed like mine, I'm sure it will also be full next month.

So hopefully soon the garden will begin to look like this again.Enjoy your day


12 comments:

  1. Wow you have been busy. I was wondering why the sweet peas need long roots and does the same apply to normal peas and mange tout? I am very envious of your greenhouse. It's the one thing I would dearly love but sadly simply can't afford at the moment. One day though I hope I will get one. I can't wait to see your garden when everything is growing. :-)
    Kay x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let people know you are looking for a greenhouse. Both of mine were free, we only had to replace a few panes of glass. I had no sweet peas last year which is why I am following sowing them to the letter. I just stick normal peas & mange tout in the ground, I don't think they need a long root run to start, though I could be wrong.

      Delete
  2. We're going to try celery in a container too - hope it works for both of us.

    Pink blueberry just sounds wrong doesn't it? It should be pinkberry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes i think they should be called 'pinkberry' also. Perhaps that is how I can sneak them into the garden & say they are called Pinkberry bushes'. I have read somewhere about celery being grown in tubs so it must be doable.

      Delete
  3. You've been a busy bee this weekend. I had other jobs to do so didn't get round to doing anything in the garden, more's the pity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glad, it has inspired me to get into the garden more.

      Delete
  4. thankyou for helping Gretel via Sue's blog
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done, you must rather pleased. I won't be planting or sowing anything for about another month yet. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very pleased. I am lucky with having the greenhouses to fall back on.

      Delete
  6. I'd love to hear how you get on with the pink bluberries. I keep seeing them in gardening mags & I'm quite tempted especially as my bluberries do really well in pots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I need to buy one. Mikes niece loves blueberries so that is my excuse to buy one.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.