Tuesday, 19 March 2013

A garden visitor

Mike is off work this week so I took the opportunity to have a garden clear up. Really I needed him to remove the pile of rubble he left on the patio but I used his digging skills instead.

We removed the netting from the brassica patch. A brave thing to do seeing as there is a huge flock of wood pigeons in the field behind the garden. It does look a lot neater though now the net is removed & the bed weeded.

I moved the rhubarb at the weekend. The plants were huge last year & took over the fruit bed. When they died back over winter I found a small gooseberry bush. The branches looked bleached as the rhubarb leaves had hidden it from the sun.

Anyway I had a small patch right at the back of the fruit bed. I was hoping for a pond there but needs must. I thought I would only have space for two of the rhubarb plants but happily I could fit in all three & there was enough space for a small pond.

Whilst viewing my work yesterday afternoon I thought I saw movement out of the corner of my eye. In a small pacth of weeds & grass by the fence I saw this -
Can you see him/her? I was so excited. I knew we had to build a small pond straight away. As the under gardener won't let me spend anymore money on the garden this month I had to have a good look round the garden to see what I could use instead.

It is not ideal but it does the job. & it needed to fit the space I had. I found an old square tub, Mike dug the hole for me & put the tub in place. We found a few rocks to place around.
I may be allowed out at the weekend to buy a few more rocks & some small pond plants. Under strict supervision of course. We placed a piece of wood in the pond as a climbing aid if needed.

Enjoy your day

15 comments:

  1. Good grief he's well camouflaged lol I had to look for ages just to find him :-) I noticed I have absolutely loads and loads of either toad or frog spawn in my pond. I was thrilled, I'm hoping that when they hatch and turn into frogs or toads, they will eat all the horrible slugs and snails this year, preferable before they eat all my veg like they did last year :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my pond may be a bit small for any frogspawn. You never know though.He had a very fat tummy so I think he has made a dent in the slug population.

      Delete
  2. I'm sure you can make it look great. Pop a few oxygenators in as they are quite cheap. Did you see when I posted about our puddle pond - it isn't very different in size to yours. The planting baskets with gravel on give any little creatures and birds access.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did see it yes, we have a local aquatics centre so I may take a look there on Saturday morning.

      Delete
  3. It's the best camouflage I've ever seen, because I can't see anything in that picture :) I don't know what to look for, I don't know what and where is it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right in the centre there is a frog. In my defense it is only a small patch of weeds. I can't move them yet as the frog seems to like it there.

      Delete
  4. When the boys were small we made a pond smaller than yours and we had all sorts in it,the trouble was we ended up with one much bigger as everything out grew the pond and space,(Very well camouflaged but I could see him/her)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to what comes to live in it.

      Delete
  5. It's very well cabouflaged, but my daughter pointed him out for me, her eyesight is better than mine. Having water in the garden, no matter what amount, will bring wildlife to the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I hope so & it took me a few minutes to see what was hidden in the weeds.

      Delete
  6. Lucky you with the frog, and well done with the pond. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am rather pleased with the pond Flighty. Thanks.

      Delete
  7. Hello, how marvellous to come across a frog tucked away like that. I very rarely see frogs or toads when I'm gardening & would love to see more - our pond is dominated by birds. Your post has got me thinking about improvising a special small pond to encourage them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quite surprised to see him. If I was stood any further away I wouldn't of seen him.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.