Saturday, 16 March 2013

A new bay tree

After clearing out my dads conservatory the other week I was able to take away the spoils. I now have lots of new tubs for growing tomatoes, chillies, sweet peppers & aubergines. These will be kept in the greenhouse.

The nicest pot however is one I have been after for a while. Many many years ago my dad bought this terracotta pot. It used to live in the back garden & contained a fuchia. Over time the fuchia died & the pot remained empty.

Not long after I started my veg patch my dad was inspired to grow a few things of his own. The terracotta pot became his cucumber pot. It lived in his conservatory & one plant would produce over 50 cucumbers.

Now due to his blindness he has given up on veg growing & I shall be keeping him supplied with tomatoes & runner beans. I have finally been given his terracotta pot.

I wanted something special to plant in it. Something long lasting. On a peruse around the local garden centre Mike spotted the bay trees. We bought a smaller specimen with a view to training it somehow.

The paving slabs will be moved shortly & more slate chippings will be purchased. I shall be placing the pot right in the centre.

Enjoy your day

10 comments:

  1. I think a bay tree is perfect for your special pot. Be careful in the frosts though, terracotts tends to crack so make sure you insulate it well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bubble wrapped inside. I hope it will be ok, it is about 25 years old.

      Delete
  2. A lovely big pot perfect for a bay tree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will you train it or will you let it do it's own thing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It should look good when it's all done. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a lovely pot, I can see why you would want it! Plus its got sentimental value too. Hope they bay likes its new home!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.