Wednesday, 13 March 2013

Busy buzzy bumblebees

Well that is what I'm hoping for this year. I love bees, I love watching them buzzing around the flowers gathering nectar. Such lovely little creatures.

A few years ago before the veg plot was conceived we had in the garden a bumblebee nest. I could sit there for hours watching the bees flying in & out. Over time the entrance has become blocked so no more have nested since.

To ensure an adequate supply of bees this summer both for me to watch & my lovely little veg plants & fruit trees to be pollinated I have invested some of my hard earned cash into some bee friendly seeds.

Not just any bee friendly seeds, no! In a concious effort to trace what I now buy I placed an order over at Higgledy Garden for some of these Bee friendly seeds.

What a lovely package I received through the post. A selection of seeds packaged in compostable brown paper envelopes, along with some bonus seeds & a hand written note.

Higgledy garden is a lovely funny quaint site. Full of flower seeds & from May I believe they also sell home grown cut flowers. The nice old fashioned kind that I like. No doubt I will be pointing Mike in the direction of the site then.

Also there is an extra bonus to my new seeds - they are ideal for cutting too. I shall be pinching some for the house when the time comes.

Enjoy your day

13 comments:

  1. I like planting for bees too so I hope they appreciate our efforts and pollinate our fruit as a reward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to plant with bees and wildlife in mind, we help them and in turn they help us by pollinating our fruit and veg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same as you, trying to educate kids that we need bees & wasps also comes to mind.

      Delete
  3. Any excuse for a few more seeds, which in this case is really worthwhile! One of my plot neighbours has about a dozen hives so I see lots of honey bees on my plot enjoying all the flowers I grow. Must say that I'd like to see more bumble bees! Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do tend to do well on the bumble & honey bee front. I could always do with more visiting though.

      Delete
  4. I don't think I have ever seen a Bumble Bee nest. Presumably it is quite big? Do they live in big colonies like Honey bees?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think they are very large. The nest we had was under the old garage foundations.

      Delete
    2. Mark their nests tend to be in out of the way places such as holes in the ground or under sheds so don't get noticed. Have a look at the Bumblebee Conservation Trust's website for further information. Cheers, Flighty.

      Delete
  5. Nice to hear you helping out the bees. Could you not clear out the opening to the bumbel bee nest?? Or maybe buy a nest/hive for your garden? They aren't overly expensive and they need all the help they can get. I have bought plenty of flower seeds for the bees this year too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have tried several times to clear out the opening but no more bees have nested.

      Delete
  6. I love bumblebees too, so nice to watch them work. Let's hope you get another nest nearby soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.