Thursday, 21 March 2013

Comfort eating

Just the thing for these cold spring days. Now Mike is not a confident cook so most of the cooking comes down to me. Nor is he a confident gardener or a trusted one come to that.

I rather like cooking. I treat it as  a sort of a stress release after work because believe me at times I finish work in rather stressed state. If cooking began with a G instead of C I would follow the three G's as my stress release. Gardening, Gooking & G&T. Never mind.

Last night our evening meal consisted of a quick meal of lighly fried scallops, mixed with rocket, linguine & sun dried tomato pesto. It takes about 20 mins from start to finish. Yesterday morning however I made the following. Minestrone & chilli.

The minestrone I make as follows -

Fry a large onion on a low heat until soft, add diced red/yellow pepper, courgette,celery & carrots. Also add a couple of crushed garlic cloves. Cook on a low heat for about 10 mins. Add salt & pepper & mixed herbs to taste. Pour in a box of passata, beans & a couple of stock cubes. Give it a stir & add a handful of soup pasta. I add water until it gets to the consistency I like. Bring to the boil & simmer. Just before serving I add some shredded cabbage/kale or spinach.

I make it quite often & we normally have it for lunch over two or three days. Mike has a bigger appetite than me so it tends to last for two days. This version contained kale, borlotti beans & courgettes frozen from last years harvest.

The chilli I make with quorn mince. For the life of me I cannot & will not eat mince unless I have minced the meat myself. Dreadful childhood memories of my mother's cooking has seen to that.

Similar set up to the soup - fry an onion with required veg & couple of chillies & garlic cloves. This one also included a dried smoked chilli which was rehydrated & chopped up. I then add some chopped chorizo, chilli powder, dried cumin, coriander & dried herbs. Add a tub of passata, kidney beans &  a splash of water along with a stock cube. I cook it on low for an hour & then  leave it until the next day. It tastes better that way. Served with either wedges, rice or corn bread. Sometimes all three. Just the thing on a cold spring day.

Enjoy your day

10 comments:

  1. Chilli con carne is a favourite of ours too. We prefer it served with brown rice and green beans. I find that mince is better if it is cooked long and slow - this stops it being "gritty". I'm making soup today for tommorrow's lunch: black bean and chipotle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok I never thought of green beans to go with it. Your soup sounds nice. I shall have to have a google for a recipe.

      Delete
    2. I amended my soup to be a variant of "Moros y Cristianos", with both black and white beans. Recipe on my blog "soon"...

      Delete
  2. Must admit I'd pass on the scallops but the minestrone and chilli sound good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scallops are lovely. I only tried them a few months a go.

      Delete
    2. I don't think my head could get past how slug like they are!

      Delete
  3. I'm the same as Sue! Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never made minestrone yours looks good - although I do make a 'mean' chilli which we had last night

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make it for ease more than anything & I must say the chilli was one of the nicest I have ever made.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.