Wednesday, 20 March 2013

First day of spring

I had a lovely stroll around the garden this morning. It was rather cold & I looked very comical as I had Mikes dressing gown on & his trainers on my feet. I think I looked like a clown as his trainers are about 6 sizes to big for my tiny feet.

We are quite lucky living where we do. The garden is small but we are surrounded by fields so I get my wildlife fix by gazing over the garden fence or peering through my bedroom window.


Behind the garden fence is a thicket of brambles & all sorts of other weedy stuff. Soon the nettles will start growing & I will see the tops waving in the wind. Most of my neighbours cut down the nettles & brambles but I like to leave mine. The birds that visit the garden like to hide amongst them & it provides some extra food for them.

Talking of birds & the first day of spring I saw my first one collecting nesting material this morning.

The 2nd photo is part of the hedge that separates the fields. Most of the finches that visit the garden along with the dunnocks fly there once disturbed. The blackbird that visits has a nest in the bank below it & I'm hoping that the ditch that lies by the hedge was the breeding ground for my frog.

Enjoy your day

12 comments:

  1. The butterflies will love the nettles too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is partly why I leave them for catterpilar food.

      Delete
  2. I have a love/hate relationship with nettles and brambles. I don't like to see them, but as you both say above the butterflies love the nettles and the brambles can provide blackberries. And I also agree about leaving them as cover for wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as they are the other side of the fence I'm fine with them. Any interlopers are added to the compost bins.

      Delete
  3. What a horrible day for the first day of spring. I was up at 6.15 and it was snowing quite hard. There was a covering of snow already, but we've had rain since and it's all been washed away again. I haven't seen any birds collecting nesting material yet, I'll have to watch out for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No snow here just rain. I spotted the bird by chance with some straw in its beak on the house roof.

      Delete
  4. Birds and spring go together,I have also just written about some on my post today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I left a comment. Just need a bit of sunshine now to go with spring.

      Delete
  5. I looked very hard at that first photo, because I thought we were going to be regaled with a photo of you in dressing-gown and trainers...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha no danger there. I'm trying to encourage followers not scare them off.

      Delete
  6. My mum used to look round the garden first thing every day wrapped in an old coat, hat and wellies with a cup of tea in her hand!
    Well done on leaving the brambles and nettles as that will be a wildlife haven. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pea size hail falling here, no fun in the garden.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.