Sunday, 24 March 2013

Some purchases

Despite the snow I was in desperate need of some pots of some kind to transplant my seedlings. As Mike was unable to drive the car onto the drive yesterday evening it had to be left on the road.

Nothing to worry about as we live in a quiet street, however it was conveniently parked for a quick getaway this morning.

Te He, I found my pots, actually I bought some cheap plastic windowsill propagators & some coir pots. I can space them nicely on the windowsills for the next few weeks or perhaps stick them in the greenhouse once the big defrost comes.

I also bought myself some seeds. I wanted some Dill seeds & also found Mignonette seeds which I have been after for ages, along with some Nemesia seeds. All are now in the propagator. I also found these reduced to £1.50
Now a pack of Melon seeds is £3.99 & I only have the space for a few. I was going to buy some plants. I also wanted some Alpine strawberries. Ideally I would like some of those fancy smanchy teeny tiny kiwi plants but I shall have a dabble with these. Also there is a bonus of some water melon. Now for £1.50 for the seeds, plastic propagator & soil I couldn't leave them there could I. Time will tell.

Any way more exciting purchases, while I bought the pots & seeds I also had Mike & his wallet with me & look what he bought.

For me I would like to add.

A strawberry tower which I think I can grow 32 strawberry plants in it. It is plastic look terracotta but it comes with a watering pipe & netting. Also a contraption which my runner beans can grow up in comfort & an obelisk for my tayberry which I planted in the fruit patch the other week.

Lots to look forward to.




16 comments:

  1. I bet if it hadn't snowed, you would have been in the garden and wouldn't have spent a penny. Great buys though, you may get less slug damage growing your strawberries in the strawberry tub than you would in the ground. I was going to start some more seeds off this weekend but couldn't muster up the enthusiasm, it's just so blooming cold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha I bet I would of done both. The tub was only £14.99 I have seen them for sale for a lot more. It gives me a chance to do some strawberry plant viewing now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would Mike like to accompany me on a garden shopping trip? - I'm a good bargain hunter!
    Looks like you've had a good buying trip, I like the look of that vegetable grow frame.
    Please be warned that Kiwi plants grow like stink, almost enough to watch! We've had two, supposed male and female on a south facing wall in the garden for around 17 years they both flower profusely but never a sign of fruit - well only the year I wired some on to fool hubs ;o)
    Rose H
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha I'm sure he would love to. The kiwi seeds have been sown along with the rest but i am going to look into them. I'm sure I have read something about them before.

      Delete
  4. It sure looks like you're going to be busy, and have fun! Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall be having fun choosing lots of new strawberries Flighty.

      Delete
  5. You'll have lots of lovely strawberries to look forward to; you can never have too many! I've given up on melons because I've never been able to grow any - I don't know why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last years melon plant produced fruit but they were tiny. Another try this year I think.

      Delete
  6. Ooh your strawberry tower looks fab. Good luck with the exotic seeds :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in tow minds before I bought it. I was told they look good when planted with the strawberries so that's what sold it for me.

      Delete
  7. Make sure you stay away from the Garden Centre next weekend then! With a bit of luck we will be able to USE some of all our gear soon. So far it has been plannning, scheming and "building castles in the air" for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark I have spent my allotted funds for the garden for April. I hope to be busy this weekend planting potatoes.

      Delete
  8. I have had a lovely time reading your blog....this made me laugh..."Gardening, Gooking & G&T"
    It would appear everyone has decent seedlings but me. I am jealous!xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I fear though with this weather my seedlings wont be lovely for long.

      Delete
  9. We have one of those mini kiwis - Issai - but for the two years we have had it it has been attacked by red spider mite and lost its fruit. This year I hoped to try harder the protect it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.