Saturday, 20 April 2013

A bit of a ramble

As my week off work coincided with National gardening Week, (which was a happy accident) I had great plans to do some happy posts each day.

Wednesday evening came & before I closed the large greenhouse up for the night I took a few photographs with the plan to write a post & schedule it for appearance on Thursday morning.
Look at my staging jam packed full of seedlings of all sorts, just out of shot is a pot the boy brought home from school. Naturally it has three sunflower seeds planted in it.

I spent several hours in the greenhouse & veg garden that day. By luck I spotted some couch grass where my brassicas currently reside. As I pulled it out grass stalks I noticed the roots were running under the row where I had sowed some parsnips seeds. It would of been hell to get rid of later on in the year. I also spent time clearing out the large greenhouse ready for the transfer of seedlings from the house to the greenhouse. I have a huge mixture of both vegetable & flower plants now.

In total I must have cleared approx forty slugs that were hiding in the greenhouse. About thirty of these were little tiny baby ones. I think it maybe time to invest in some nematodes. If they were hiding in the greenhouse there must be more out in the garden.

Anyway back to Wednesday evening. I did log on to write my post but after reading other blogs I forgot about my post until after I switched off the computer. Never mind I thought I shall do it in the morning. That was until we had a huge gale blowing its way through North Wales.

Apart from the wind keeping me awake I was also woken up by Mike on his return from work. Normally I hear the front door when Mike returns. Apart from that night as I fell asleep with my fingers in my ears to block out the wind. I screamed. Loudly. When Mike isn't there I have a tendency to roll onto his side of the bed. Naturally he wanted his side back as it was nice & warm. A few choice words were given I tell you.

The other memorable moment of being woken up was to the sound of smashing glass. I knew it had to be one of the greenhouses, I though one of the potted fruit trees had been blown into it. Once it became light I looked out of the french doors but couldn't see any damage, so I took a little stroll. I still couldn't see any damage on either of them so happily made my way back to the house. I took a second glance & noticed something wasn't quite right with the small greenhouse. Upon further investigation it appeared that the strength of wind had picked up the small green house & smashed it against the fence. There were shards of glass all over the floor & six broken panes of glass. B luck they  missed anything important.

On a brighter note my mixed salad leaves are ready to harvest. Enjoy your weekend.

18 comments:

  1. We (Martyn) replaces and glass broken in the greenhouse roof with polycarbonate sheets. This is partly because the roof has huge panes of glass and partly as pears from a nearby tree have a habit of falling onto the roof and breaking glass. The only problem is that these sheets are flexible and only blew out during the 'gales'. That wouldn't have been too bad but is broke into three irregular pieces. Fortunately the rest of the glass etc survived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike has replaced the glass now & made sure the gap is sealed correctly. We debated about polcarbonate panels a couple of years ago, but the strength the wind can gain here would surely make it fly off.

      Delete
  2. The wind has been terrible, hasn't it? I'm so glad it's all died down now, and it's a lovely sunny day today. My greenhouse is glazed with polycarbonate sheets, but they have a habit of blowing in to next door's garden when we have high winds. None blew out this week though, we were lucky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good, if it wasn't for a gap in the greenhouse I don't think much damage would have been caused. All fixed now though.

      Delete
  3. You're doing well with all your seeds. It was windy here on Thursday but there seemed to have been little damage thankfully.
    Enjoy the rest of the weekend. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very pleased with my seedlings this year.I do have a large amount of flower seedlings on top of the veg ones.

      Delete
  4. We too had the horrific winds but fortunately no damage for us and I'm glad it wasn't too bad for you. I have been meaning to write a post this week but wit the weath4er getting better and extra work hours I just haven't got around to it...and what am I doing now whilst I take a little breather...catching up with everyone else...maybe later then as in a few minutes I will be back off down the allotment again to make the most of the sunny evening!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing major really no, I would rather have a few panes of greenhouse glass to replace than tiles off the roof.

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear about the damage. We had some strong winds here too, but nothing as bad as you have described. My little plastic greenhouse didn't even get blown away (this time...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pleased, i have thought about a plastic greenhouse but as we have fields at the back of us the force of the wind would certainly take it.

      Delete
  6. We lost some fence panels so spent yesterday in the glorious sunshine putting concrete posts in and replacing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, the fence separating our garden from next has been taken down as the wind pretty much finished that off. However it is a joint re build between the two houses so should be fun.

      Delete
  7. What a shame about your greenhouse damage. The wind was very strong for a couple of days here too, but thankfully, no damage. Your seedlings are all looking great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fixed now thanks, I am becoming very over run with seedlings at the moment. Though I have sown a lot of flower seeds this year so that has added to the problem.

      Delete
  8. Oh no! Sorry to read about your greenhouse. Here in Cumbria we had some very strong winds last week also. It blew some rhubarb stalks off but that was it luckily :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fixed now thankfully. No major damage done compared to what could have happened.

      Delete
  9. Sorry to hear about your greenhouse damage. We had some strong winds here last week but aside from plastic pots bouncing round the garden and a BBQ on wheels going for a wander down the side of the house nothing else was moved. My little (fully glass) greenhouse has surprisingly survived everything the weather has ever thrown at it - so far...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the force of the wind coming through a little gap in the greenhouse was enough to to move it to bang against the fence. That is the only thing i can think of.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.