Monday, 15 April 2013

A productive morning

The title of the post nearly didn't happen yesterday. It was very blustery in the garden & it it was also raining off & on.

I didn't want to waste the opportunity so I had to get on with it, & I managed to get loads done. Far more than I expected. 

I topped the asparagus patch with some compost. You can just make out Mikes rubble pile. He will be in trouble if he doesn't shift it soon.
I planted all of the early & 2nd early potatoes.
They are in a selection of buckets & tubs. The buckets you see above are lined up next to the big greenhouse. The smaller tubs contain one seed potato each & the larger tubs contain two. I have three tubs in the small greenhouse for a hopefully slightly early crop. Also in the greenhouse I sowed a trough of spinach for salads & trough of green beans. Once I know the frosts are over I shall put them outside. I have some old recycling tubs which I have planted four seed potatoes in each. This is my normal method for early potatoes & I will earth them up as the shoots come through. The seed potatoes in the buckets have been filled with compost, it was a method I read about last year and was eager to try.

Also I sowed a row of parsnips & constructed some cane type contraptions for my mange-tout, which I also took a chance & sowed straight into the ground. Look at that lovely dark soil!
I wanted to try some mange-tout this year & the variety I choose was Shiraz, they have purple flowers & pods so I thought they would look quite pretty. The packet contains approx 100 seeds & I have about 12 canes altogether in my two contraptions. I placed 3 pea seeds at each cane in the hope at least one will germinate at each one. If they don't there is no loss as I have plenty left over to try again.

Before I forget I also managed to sow some spring onions, I hope I am able to do lots more this week.

Enjoy your day

15 comments:

  1. You were busy - we were out for the day in Derbyshire and it was really windy/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wind does make an appearance here, certainly with the garden backing onto fields. It was good to get all of the work done though. I hope you had a good day out.

      Delete
  2. I think the better weather is spurring most of us on with lots of jobs which need doing. I find mange tout easier than peas, and we're all fans of them so that's good. It looks like the better weather has arrived just in time for your week off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather is great, such a lovely feeling a bit of warmth. I grew mange tout a couple of years back so I would like to try it again.

      Delete
  3. Looks like you've got plenty to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Providing the slugs don't come out in force like last year, yes.

      Delete
  4. That's a pretty good start to your week of gardening! I hope you remembered to drill some drainage holes in those buckets...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All ready drilled Mark, all ready drilled. I did check, it has been known for me not to.

      Delete
  5. Well done on doing all that,especially as it was raining on and off!
    Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once it stopped after the first shower I had a good break from it, yes it felt good to get jobs done.

      Delete
  6. My, you were a busy little bee - it feels great to be getting on with stuff doesn't it - hoping for great results this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very busy indeed, yes lets hope for good results for everyone.

      Delete
  7. It's always a good day when you get more done than expected! And very satisfying to plant all your early and second early potatoes. Look forward to seeing how you get on with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its nice to sit back & relax after doing so much. I am very pleased the potato planting is out of the way.

      Delete
  8. I think we are all relishing the spring like weather that has finally arrived!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.