Wednesday, 10 April 2013

Comfrey

After having a set back with pneumonia I haven't had the strength, energy or even the inkling to log on & blog. Anyway after more medication I now seem to be fighting fit & planning to stay that way.

Mike & I spent a lovely day in the garden on Sunday. The weather was glorious - to the extent of me not wearing a coat all day. I started the day with a hat, fleece & gloves but they were soon removed.  To my great shame I removed 5 buckets & they were full sized buckets of weeds & dead material from the front garden. They are now residing in one of the compost bins.

I hope you all had a lovely Easter, the eldest boy was back from Uni for the holidays & it was lovely to have him around. He went back on Monday with a replenished bank account courtesy of the bank of Mum & dad along with additions from the bank of Nan & gran-dad.

Anyway back to the title of my post - Comfrey. You may or not remember an earlier post of mine regarding what variety of chilies we are growing this season. I say we as Mike has a great interest in growing chilies as in he picks what varieties he is interested in, I sow them, pot them up, look after them until harvest time. He then takes over & shows off his handiwork to everyone who shows the slightest interest. I digress, Mike decided he would like to try Naga Jolokia this year- one of the hottest chillies in the world. We bought the seeds & followed the instructions to the letter.

 However not one of them germinated. Every other seed I have sown this season has appeared apart from these chillies. Apart from the cost of the seeds I wasn't too bothered it's not as if I was going to attempt to eat them anyway. Mike I must say was a tad upset, he was rather looking forward to showing them off. So I sent an email to Thompson-Morgan.. They very nicely replied with an apology & the offer of a fresh packet of seeds. Which I replied with a thank you but no thanks as I felt it was a little too late for a fresh sowing. I was pleased with the response I received off them & wasn't expecting anything further. However they replied with an offer of a voucher which I immediately  put towards some comfrey.

They were delivered on Saturday morning & I potted up the root cuttings in individual pots. I have 5 in total & I will plant them under the bird feeder once they are ready. The variety is Bocking 14 which is what you need as it doesn't spread seed every where. In several years I should have a nice clump of it. I shall be chopping the leaves back & brewing them to make some plant food. See I do know how to save money.

Please do not feel sorry for Mike as I have promised to buy him two plants of Naga Jolokia. He will be making stupid hot chilli sauce come September/October. Enjoy your day.

22 comments:

  1. So sorry to read of your illness - even though you are so much better take it easy!
    Good luck with the comfey :o)
    Best wishes
    Rose H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment & I am feeling much better now.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry to hear you've been so ill and I sympathise; I'm currently in bed with a nasty bronchitis (just as the weather is getting warmer...) As you say, the comfrey will make excellent plant food and the bumblebees will love it, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear I hope you get over it soon, I think my pneumonia started as bronchitis but I ignored it.

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear about the set back, I hope you'll soon be fighting fit again. These type of illnesses do tend to take hold and cling on with a firm grip before you finally shake them off. I'm not a fan of any type of chilli so I'd definitely be staying well clear of Naga Jolokia, it sounds extremely hot. I've always had a positive experience with Thompson and Morgan's customer service. I find that many of their goods aren't up to scratch but they do put it right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am much better now thanks, I think if I had visited the doctor sooner rather than later I wouldn't of been quite so ill. I was pleased with the response, it is nice to think you are being listened to.

      Delete
  4. Interesting views on garden co-operation! My wife will water plants for me when I'm away on business, but that's as far as it goes.
    Sorry to hear you have had pneumonia. I hope you are OK now. One of my daughters had it last year, and I know it can be very debilitating.
    I only sowed my chillis over the Easter weekend, and I think they still have time to catch up. Luckily most of mine have germinated - too many, I think. I won't be able to make space to grow them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'm quite at the stage of trusting Mike with the watering just yet. I hope your daughter didn't suffer too much with pneumonia & I certainly hope I don't get it again. My chilies are all sown now long with most of the other seeds.

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear you have been so poorly and I'm pleased that you're back in Blogland, we've missed you.

    I love comfry and I do admit I let it self seed everywhere so it pops up in the most unexpected places sometimes, but the bees love it too and they leave me in peace when they have comfry flowers to play with :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I have borage that self seeds everywhere, the bees seem to like that too.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad to hear you are feeling better, long may it continue.
    Maybe your chilli seeds will still grow, mine haven't germinated yet, it's still too cold. Good luck with the comfrey.xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I put my chilli seeds in the propagator. They germinated a little to well & I have had to be ruthless when potting them on.

      Delete
  7. I should be gathering leaves from your comfrey in June and July (they are at their best)for next winter. They make an excellent tea that is the best thing for fighting pneumonia or any other lung ailments. And sorry but I have to stick up for Mike and his Naga Jolokia. When I feel a cold coming on I make a nice soup or stew and spice it up with the very same peppers and by the next day I am right as rain. So happy you are back on your feet and feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is something I am looking forward to trying out. I have wanted to grow comfrey for a while now. You must post your soup recipe, it sounds ideal.

      Delete
  8. I'm sorry to see that you've not been well and hope that you're okay now.
    I've got a handful of comfrey plants on the plot which I leave to flower as bees love it then cut right back and add the foliage to the compost heap.
    I do that several times a year, and always wear gloves. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I am feeling much better. Thanks for the tip on wearing gloves. I will be leaving some to flower for the bees before chopping it back.

      Delete
  9. Sorry to read that you have been under the weather. This long cold spell has not helped people getting over illnesses but the sun will be shining down on you soon. Unfortunately I have the comfrey that seeds everywhere but the bees love it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I don't think the weather has helped at all, a lot of people I know have been ill.I think with having such a small plot I would soon be swamped If I had the self seeded variety.

      Delete
  10. Glad to hear you are feeling better and up to gardening and blogging.Our neighbour grows comfrey and the bees really do love it.Be prepared for the smell if you use it for plant food-it will put hairs on your chest !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have read lots on the smell & will be prepared for it ( I hope.)

      Delete
  11. T&M do seem quite good at replacements. That's how I ended up with a peach and a nectarine. Our nectarine turned iut to be a peach which they 'replaced' with a nectarine the next year. I say replaced but they didn't want the peach back!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.