Friday, 26 April 2013

First salad of the year

My early sowing of salad leaves & radish looked fit for picking the other day. They both looked like an ideal size for a simple side salad.
The radish were tiny & really they were too small to harvest. But you grow your own to suit yourself. To give a better idea of scale the radish were the size of my little finger nail.

Anyway to make the salad slightly more substantial I kept the leaves on the radish & just snipped off the roots.

I made a quick dressing by mixing balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, salt, pepper & a dash of olive oil & mixed the salad.

It was lovely, Mike & I really enjoyed the tiny radishes with the leaves attached. I also think the majority of my radish will be served like this over the summer.

Enjoy your day

 

18 comments:

  1. I have quite a few radishes on the go, but none of them are even nearly ready yet. We like to eat them dipped in salt, served as a "nibble" with a drink before dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine are in a tub in the greenhouse. Very small but very tasty.

      Delete
  2. Small vegetables are often better. It's raining here so no plotting today. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are lovely, we really enjoyed them with the leaves. I hope the weather brightens for you tomorrow.

      Delete
  3. I haven't started any radishes off yet. I usually grow enough to keep my mum and dad supplied too, they're easy enough to grow and don't take up much room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are easy to grow, I have a few varieties to try this year.

      Delete
  4. I haven't even set my salads yet. Were these grown under glass/indoors?? I will hopefully be getting my sown over the weekend. Can't wait to be eating nice flavoursome salad again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sowed the seeds in two tubs & kept them in the small greenhouse. Good luck with your weekend sowing.

      Delete
  5. I suspect your garden is miles ahead of mine at this time. I just planted a row of pole beans yesterday, but everything else is still in the greenhouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Doc, I think we have the same climate. I have nothing ready in the main veg garden & all my seedlings are still in the greenhouse.

      Delete
  6. Did the small radishes taste stronger?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found a single radish growing in amongst my sweet pea seedlings, goodness know how it got there as I haven't even sowed any radhish yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a nice surprise. Did you eat it?

      Delete
  8. How lovely to have your first salad of the year, plenty more things to come!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How delicious ..... better than anything you could ever buy. You have inspired me
    love jooles xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Far far better than buying & so much sweeter & fresher.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.