Wednesday, 24 April 2013

Gifts for the garden

Well as from today I'm back in work. Drat, I was beginning to enjoy this gardening at leisure.  We took a short trip out yesterday, we had to go to Boots the chemist & I wanted to visit Hobby craft. I have taught myself how to knit (I'm still dabbling at crochet but that is on the back burner). So far I have completed a pair of babies booties & hat. I now wish to move onto bigger projects, as in I would like to knit myself a simple cardigan & a simple shrug. I have the wool ready I needed a simple pattern for each. Could I find such a thing could I heck. I will have to have a good Google later.

Anyway on the way home ( I was a bit miffed & disgruntled, to the extent I didn't buy any wool & it was on offer & Mike was buying) we spotted a sign for a new garden centre. Naturally Mike pulled over.

It was only a little place but room to extend in the future should it take off. As part of my plan to support more local suppliers I spent the total of £8.50 on these four plants -
I purchased a Dicentra - Bleeding heart, a Saxifraga & two Dianthus.

The Dicentra will be planted in the raised bed in the front garden, the Saxifraga in a tub in the back garden & the Dianthus will be planted into two tubs I have in the front.

They look bee friendly which is also high on my list. I am pretty much sticking to flowers, shrubs & trees that will support the wildlife.

Enjoy your day
             

             

12 comments:

  1. Jo if you're into knitting and crochet, maybe you'd like to visit Laura Miller's blog http://myhouseinafrica.blogspot.com ? She is also into gardening...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to be into knitting in crochet, I'm pretty sure I have visited the site several times before Mark. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. I'm an occasional knitter but whenever I knit I seem to choose mega projects. Either long line cardigans or jumpers with fancy patterns. I was thinking I mat make a jumper over winter when I'm not too busy with other things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it quite relaxing & yes I could well imagine myself being drawn into much larger projects.

      Delete
  3. Some lovely looking plants there. Glad you are trying to help out the bees.

    I learnt to knit a few years ago, ( with the help of my Mum!) and also dabbled a little with crochet too. If you have a Boyes nearby you should try there for a pattern. They have a good selection which you can actually have a look through and also stock wools and needles. If you want to buy off line a good place to get patterns is kempswoolshop. The problem with buying over the internet is you can't actually look inside so you don't know how difficult it will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are quire right about the difficulty of looking inside. I thought I spotted several suitable patterns yesterday but the packets were sealed. I shall keep an eye out for the shops you mentioned.

      Delete
  4. Well done on teaching yourself to knit. I used to knit an awful lot as a teenager, then didn't knit again for over twenty years. I've started again in the last few years, as well as teaching myself to crochet two years ago. I'm really enjoying yarn crafts again. Have a look on Ravelry for a pattern (google it), it's a great site and there's loads of free patterns as well as others you have to pay for. There's also forums and groups. Lovely plants you've picked up there, dicentra is one of my favourites, mine is just starting to poke through the soil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am rather enjoying sitting down in the evening having a dabble if you like. It is also nice to have something to do when it is to rainy for gardening. I have registered with Ravelry, thanks for the tip.

      Delete
  5. Well done on pretty much sticking to bee, and wildlife, friendly plants. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many wildlife friendly plants to choose from Flighty. And very nice ones too, it is something I am feeling more strongly about. Though I do need to increase my stock of spring flowering plants.

      Delete
  6. £8.50 for 4 plants - that was good value.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you got quite a bargain for those plants, the Dicentra on it's own would probably have cost that in some of the garden centres near me!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.