Thursday, 11 April 2013

Greenhouse crops

This coming weekend I shall be sowing my cucumber seeds. I have already sown the tomato, aubergine  chilli & sweet pepper seeds & they are coming along nicely. I also have a couple of Honeydew & Watermelon plants on the go.

I have two varieties of cucumber but for the life of me I cannot remember them at the moment. However I have been very organised this year & have labeled each sowing with the name & date. It will certainly cut down on the surprises from previous years.

Currently the small greenhouse houses the fig tree. It is always dragged undercover during the winter period. I'm sure this has helped it survive. It is also housing at present some tubs which have been sown with some early salad ingredients.
The tub at the front contains mixed salad leaves, the two next to it contain radish & the one at the back contains some baby carrots. You can just about make out the carrots germinating. It will certainly help me get an earlier crop this year after the dire weather we have had.

The large greenhouse contains a large variety of overwintered flower plants. I need to shift these out shortly so I have room for the tomatoes, chilli, aubergine & sweet peppers. I also have my broad bean plants. I shall be hardening off the bean & flower plants over the next few days. More importantly I have my peach tree in the large greenhouse & just look at it! -
Mike bought it for me last year, as the story goes we were in the local garden centre & I was looking at the fruit tree selection when Mike got a call on his phone. It was Mikes friend who he goes fishing with. He inquired with Mike over the possibility of arranging to go fishing that day. As we had a family BBQ to attend that afternoon Mike quick as a flash said he would buy me the tree if he could go fishing. Naturally I snapped his arm off & quick as a flash there was a lovely peach tree in the trolley along with a nice pot.

Anyway I keep it under cover as it suffered slightly from Peach leaf curl.  This disease causes the leaves to have purple/pink blisters on them & they become distorted. If it is affected very badly the tree can die. I didn't want to keep on picking the leaves off for fear of weakening the tree & I was reluctant to spray. So under cover it is. The only draw back is the lack of pollinating insects under cover. So I go over the tree every couple of days with a small paintbrush & dab the stamens to help pollinate.

I must say there is a slight fragrance to the blossoms, which you can only pick up if you are quite close to the flowers. The variety is Bonanza which is a dwarf variety though I believe it can grow to about 6 ft.

I wonder if I go back to look at the Nectarine trees if Mike would get another phone call, I must give it a try. Enjoy your day

11 comments:

  1. I am sure if you primed one of your friends a phone call could be arranged.Once you have had a fresh peach it is difficult to buy them from the supermarket.You sound very organised with your seedlings,I keep a notebook now(5 year plant diary)it is very helpful at reminding me what worked in previous years

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the first time I have ever been organised with my seedlings. I'm not a fan of supermarket peaches but I do like a crunchy nectarine.

      Delete
  2. OK, if you give me Mike's phone number I'll ring him and invite him to a fishing match at short notice (as a VIP guest, of course), and offer he won't be able to resist, so then he will owe you another fruit tree. How does that sound? [Only joking...]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds ideal Mark. I will keep you well supplied with fruit of course.

      Delete
  3. Our peach tree is too big t get in the greenhouse and hasn't any flowers yet so fingers crossed. It did get peach leaf curl last year so I'll have to look this up as no doubt it will affect the apricot and nectarine trees too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It being in the greenhouse is the only reason I have any blossom I'm sure, and Sue you have just reminded me I need an apricot tree. Hope your trees are not too badly affected this year.

      Delete
  4. Let's hope that we get plenty of sunny, warm weather so that everything you mention does well for you! Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. After the winter we've had it would be a welcome relief.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful looking peach tree! My patio nectarine is still in the greenhouse as well - and I'm very nervous that I haven't managed very well on the 'pollinating with a paintbrush' front. Only time will tell I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love a peach tree - not sure if it would survive in my garden though as we are pretty exposed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thhose salad greens look really healthy...hopefully going to get mine sown this weekend coming.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.