Wednesday, 17 April 2013

I'm on the hunt for -

a Rumtopf jar.
                                                        

Now all of the fruit trees & bushes have been in the ground for a while I am expecting a good crop this year. Well expecting/hoping I'm not quite sure yet. If it all fails well there is a pick your own option at the posh farm shop.

I may be allowed to Chester on Saturday if I behave of course. I shall be perusing in a couple of the charity shops there to see if I can find one. I doubt it & I think I will have to rely on ebay. There are plenty on there but the postage & packaging puts me off. I shall just have to dig deep as I really want one.
Yes I could make my Rumtopf in a normal pot or jar but I don't want to. I want a proper old fashioned Rumtopf jar.

Rumtopf is a lovely combination of fresh soft fruit gathered as it ripens. It is layered as it it harvested & each layer is covered with sugar & dark rum. Yum!

It is started in the summer with the first fresh fruit (normally strawberries) & is eaten in the winter close to Christmas. Upon viewing my collection of fruit bushes/trees in the garden I'm hoping mine will contain - strawberries, cherries, raspberries, black, red & white currants, blueberries, blackberries, gooseberries, loganberries, tayberries, cherries, plums, greengages & peaches. I'm pretty sure that is my full collection of soft fruit.

It can be served on with pancakes, normal cake, ice cream & a spoonful put in the bottom of a glass & topped up with some fizz. 

Wish me luck & enjoy your day

20 comments:

  1. I have never heard of this before but now it has me thinking....I agree with you on the jar too...the one in the picture looks great!!

    Maybe I will look into this further...is the rum really strong in it though as I have to say it's not one of my favourite drinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No idea about the taste though I suspect the sugar & juice from the fruit will modify the taste of the rum. I suspect you could use some other spirit instead.

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of Rumtopf, hope you have luck finding a jar. Not sure it would be to my taste as I'm not over fond of anything containing spirits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect I will have to bid on one from ebay & pay the p&p.

      Delete
  3. I have been looking for a rumtopf jar for ages, I scour the charity shops each time I go to town but no luck yet. I had a taste of the one my lovely neighbour made last year and it was totally delicious and very alcoholic :-) Good luck finding your jar xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't made it before but I have wanted to make it for yonks now. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Keep your eyes open they are out there, usually when you're not looking for one though, Sod's Law!!

    They are a brilliant idea for small amounts of harvested fruit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm hoping for, I'm not going to get a huge harvest from the garden. I hope to stumble over a pot.

      Delete
  5. Sounds completely amazing! Good luck treasure hunting...

    Eleanor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I shall be posting each time I add some fruit.

      Delete
  6. Do you have a local Freecycle group? It might be worth asking on there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Granny used to make this in a tall brown pot, we used to have a teaspoon full of the liquid on Friday nights, she swore that it kept the flu at bay. It must have worked as I was never ill and I do not suffer with bad colds now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad recalls one of his relatives making it. I'm sure the mixture of fruit & alcohol will be enough to kill anything off.

      Delete
  8. Wow you learn something new every day

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck. Can't you find someone selling one locally and pick it up?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like others here I've never heard of this item before so good luck in your quest!
    What you end up with sounds rather delicious, especially as an ice cream. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. By friends mum used to make this who was German,I can remember staying up all night with some friends drinking it!!!!! it was lovely and happy memories,I really hope you find a jar and you now have me thinking as I also grow lots of fruit

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow thats a new one on me and sounds delicious, you'll have to keep us posted on that.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.