Tuesday, 23 April 2013

Nearly

Can you see I very nearly have some tulips. This photo was taken on Saturday afternoon.

I have a long strip of them in the front garden. They are in a long narrow bed that separates the driveway from the front garden path. It is affectionately named by me as the Tulip Walk.

I plan to dig the bulbs up once the floral display is over & the leaves start dying down. I shall keep them in a safe place for planting again later in the year. The space I gain will be filled with some of the flower seedlings currently residing in the greenhouse.

After my visit to Chester on Saturday I visited Morrison's on the way back. I needed a bit of shopping but the main purpose was to buy this.
I spotted it on a post by jo-thegoodlife . It was only £3. Anyway I left Mike to the less important stuff of food shopping & skipped off to find the garden section. I soon found & pounced on my bug house. It is now on a section of fence by the wildlife pond. There is a honeysuckle plant to the left of it which I hope to train around it.

As it was such a lovely day Mike & I sat in the garden for a bit with  gin & tonic. It was lovely way to spend an hour until the sun went behind a cloud & it got chilly. The bumble bees were flying around & we also spotted a couple of butterfly's. I cant tell you how much Mike laughed at my attempt to take a photo of this little character. Each time I crept up on the butterfly to take a photo it flew off the opposite side.
Mikes rubble pile is going down slowly - very slowly. Enjoy your day

14 comments:

  1. Jo should be on commission! We have tulip buds but they are still green except for the dwarf varieties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She should yes. I have about 4 tulip buds open now.

      Delete
  2. Glad you managed to find the bug house, they're so reasonable, I couldn't believe the price, especially when you see what they charge for them in the garden centres. I've got tulips in the front garden too, they've got buds but don't look quite ready to flower yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I was rather pleased to grab one. They do have some rather good items in the garden dept at Morrisons.

      Delete
  3. My tulips are almost flowering! I like the bug house, and think that I'll have to build one later on.
    Lucky you seeing a Peacock butterfly. I always have problems taking pictures of them. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a struggle taking a photo, good luck with your bug house. I shall be building a large one later on in the year.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely ladybird/bug house. I must try to get one!

    Your tulips are coming on a treat.
    Goodness, it's not just me who has problems capturing butterfly pics then???xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must they look lovely in the garden. I keep on gazing at mine from the kitchen window. And no you are certainly not the only one who struggles to take photos of butterfly's.

      Delete
  5. I saw Jo's post ans want to get some of the bug houses for my bee plot as it is going to become kind of a little nature reserve with lots of flowering edibles for myself and the insects. I have so many plans....I just wish it didn't take so long to get them into action!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often find myself planning for next year, its very addictive. The bug houses are great & I'm hoping for a similar vibe for my little plot.

      Delete
  6. Now Tulips are one type of bulb I seldom grow, owing to previous disappointments. I find them very vulnerable to wind and rain, and they don't survive as well as Daffs do.
    Seeing your Bug House reminds me I ought to go and look whether my Bug "Hotel" has any occupants. I expect it has plenty of spiders. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to get to Morrisons sharpish before they are all gone. I, like you, saw them on Jo's blog. They are so reasonable.
    My tulips have been slow but are just starting to show now and am sure will be out in a week or so.

    ReplyDelete
  8. some of my tulips are opened already. i'm still waiting for the black ones to open i can't wait to see how they turn out

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's quite comforting to read that everyone's tulips are just about to open, I did begin to wonder if I'd planted them upside down or something. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.